Existing Member?

Where to next? This is a journal about Phil's progress as he backpacks his way west from his beloved Japan.

Pingyao

CHINA | Wednesday, 22 August 2007 | Views [774]

THIS is the China I've been dying to see!  It was definately worth the never-again train ride to don't-go-there Taiyuan.  Getting onto the train in Beijing was like trying to push to the front of a rave carrying a rhino.  Half-naked, incredibly sweaty men were blocking the doors, pushing, jostling and lying down in the aisle, and the no smoking sign was barely visible through the fug of tobacco floating in the carriage.  And as for the no spitting and no littering through the window signs...  Arrived in Taiyuan and realised that no way would I stay there even if it werent for the no-foreigner hotels.  What a hole!  Jumped on a bumpy bus to Pingyao and got myself a wonderful courtyard hostel complete with cute girl.  Pingyao is wonderful - ancient, really well preserved streets surrounded by walls, lots of great bread and snacks, friendly kids that say hello and nice people.  From the main tower, enormous in this city at 18 metres, is a great, unspoiled view over the old roofline.  The hostal is pretty luxurious for a backpacker but with the train ride the previous night and tonight's ominous journey to Xi'an in mind I'm just enjoying being treated like a prince.  Might go for a massage later...

Tags: General

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.