Existing Member?

Where to next? This is a journal about Phil's progress as he backpacks his way west from his beloved Japan.

Rome

ITALY | Friday, 23 November 2007 | Views [728]

As expected, my final couple of days in India weren't up to much.  I basically wandered aimlessly, felt tired and read in coffee shops.  In Barista Coffee, the Indian equivalent of Starbucks, I met a slightly crazy German guy who was WALKING around India.  For 14 years he's been walking around the world and he's managed to cover thousands of miles.  He's become somewhat of a celebrity in his homeland for the walking, and having some girlfriend from a German TV show.  Last year, said girlfriend attracted a stalker, another woman, who in a fit of jealousy went at the German guy, breaking into his house and attacking him with a hammer and a carving knife!  He nearly died and was hospitalised for 6 months and the crazy girl was put away for attempted murder!  He showed me the blood-spattered photos from his house.  Can't say I don't meet some interesting people.

The flight was quite pleasant, and I can't say how happy I was to be back in civilisation!  Rome seems like a sleepy village compared to the chaos of the past three months.  No longer am I a walking dollar sign, no longer do I get hassled, stared at, elbowed and jostled, no longer do people spit everywhere, beep their horns incessantly and aim at pedestrians.  Christ, this is a wonderful, wonderful continent and I've missed it!

I've visited St Peters, which was incredible, the Colosseum, ditto, and walked my arse off admiring this city.  One of those places where, if you stop to give every beautiful building the attention it deserves, you could easily spend a few weeks.  One of the coolest things I've seen on this whole trip was the church near Piazza Barberini, with crypts decorated and furnished entirely with human bones!

More than the big attractions I'm enjoying the general feel of the place.  My days are spent wandering, drinking coffee, eating pastries and being just another face in the street.  I planned to go to the Vatican this morning but the queue is vast.  I still have tomorrow morning, so I'll go then, before my train to Florence.  Meanwhile, today, I'm sure I'll find plenty to amuse myself with.  Scusi!  Cappuccino, per favore!

Tags: General

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.