Existing Member?

Where to next? This is a journal about Phil's progress as he backpacks his way west from his beloved Japan.

Delhi

INDIA | Monday, 22 October 2007 | Views [763]

Old Delhi, New Delhi, Subway Delhi, Delhi Belly, my God there are a lot of Delhis!  From the slightly seedy Paharganj area where I'm staying to the jolly chaos of Chandni Chowk market to the colonial austerity of central Delhi there's a lot to take in here.  And as you descend from betel leaf chewing, red spitting, glaring street level Delhi there's a whole new subterranean world full of a very different level of cleanliness, people, and odour.

I started my assault on the capital with a trip round the Red Fort - see photos - an extraordinarily rough meal near Jama Masjid, India's biggest mosque, and a stroll round upmarket Connaught Place.  It seems wherever you go in Delhi, or even India for that matter, there is one inescapable constant - the Indian Glare.  OK, I'm a whitey, guilty as charged.  But when I catch you looking at me, LOOK AWAY FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!  The Indians just keep on glaring at you, eye-to-eye, confrontation.  And it's not in a friendly way, a glance of curiosity or surprise.  It's a hard, deep stare that says Who the fuck do you think you are and what the fuck are you doing here?  Scary stuff.

Before my trip to the Taj Mahal I got caught up in a festival, the Ganga Purja, where I was forced to dance to a psychotic drum beat and got covered with purple powder, prompting god knows how many people for the entire day to say "Holy, holy" to me.  As for the Taj - magnificent.

Tags: General

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.