Existing Member?

Where to next? This is a journal about Phil's progress as he backpacks his way west from his beloved Japan.

Hanging around...

NEPAL | Wednesday, 10 October 2007 | Views [754]

So, following the trek I spent a few days in sleepy Pokhara.  Very relaxed place on the edge of Phewa Tal (lake).  I just couldn't get enough of walking miles everyday so I hiked up to the World Peace Pagoda overlooking the lake, a temple built by some Japanese monks.  What I really wanted was to hear GAIJIN YA! and to get some decent sushi, neither of which happened.  All the same, there were some stupendous views over the Himalayas, and I got leeched 3 times, which is disgusting but at least a story to tell.  Once again I took revenge on the little bastards, sealed with a size 9 air-cushioned kiss.

That same day I had a shave and trim from a barber, who thankfully used a fresh blade.  Weird, in a pleasant way, but I can definately get a smoother finish by myself than that so-called pro.

The evening saw me roll back the years to my rowing days (talked that up good style didn't I?!) with a boat out on the lake as the Annapurna mountains dissolved into the sunset.

Next day my arse took a pounding as I rented a bike and rode to Old Pokhara, where all the potheads used to hang out after they made the overland hippy trail from Europe back in the day, before they discovered lakeside with its abundance of free marijuana.

Back the next day to Kathmandu, a place I adore and despise in not so equal measure.  Spending time reading, drinking tea and overdosing on cheap internet as I wait for my Indian visa to come through. 

I've been bitten by the Tibetan bug again, apparently, as yesterday I went to Bodnath and today to Swayambunath, the Monkey Temple.  Stupas, prayer flags, the Third Eye, "Om ma ni pad me hum" et cetera.  The monkeys were fantastic though!  Saw millions of them today, climbing all over the deities and stealing grain offered at the Hindu temple next to the Buddhist stupa (a religiously easygoing lot, these neapalis...)  God help the little monkeys when Shiva finds out...

Tags: General

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.