Existing Member?

Tai-What

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [111] | Scholarship Entry

“Good luck in Thailand!” I was told before boarding a plane destined for other side of the world, “You’re gonna love it.” Actually, I was going to Taiwan, but most people at home didn’t seem to know the difference. “Tai-what?” they would say, their faces contorted. It didn’t really matter to me though, Thailand, Taiwan, I wanted to go to both, and others too. Till then, my standard introduction to graduate school scholarship applications had been a heart warming story about how my whole life I’ve travelled up and down the same road, over the hill and across the bridge; first to school and then to university. I was determined to change all that, and I knew that I was the only one who could get me to where I wanted to go. The truth was I didn’t know where it was I wanted to end up, but something told me Taiwan was the right move; a step in the direction of an ellusive destination that I would one day celebrate. In fact Taiwan had never even been anywhere near the top of my 'places to see before I grow up' list, but as it turned out, this was the start of a new adventure for me, the start of 'the' adventure.

Armed with my travel guide (and some rather useless bits of Chinese vocabulary) I ventured off to the small Asian island inhabited by about 28 million people so utterly removed from my own way of life that I thought it would be pretty easy to feel alone. It is, however, never easy to feel alone in one of the worlds most densely populated places (i.e. whether you’re in the mountains around Jioufen, or the nightmarkets of Shilin or Rau He). The capital city, Taipei, is particularly busy. A testament to its livliness is the frequency of resturants, take-aways and food stands. All those people need to be fed! Surprisingly, and although the same ingredients are commonly used, there is an amazing array of delicious bites. Whether spring onion pancackes or hand-made noodles, every kitchen should be tested. There are no ‘hidden gems,’ just a city full of tastey goods begging discovery. My attitude, go everywhere, try anything! Food in Taipei is remarkably cheap too and I find myself opposed to paying more than NT$200 for my supper (under US$7). Although Chinese is, to most Westerners, a language beyond comprehension, it is less of a barrier than one may think. Hand gestures and a smile go a long way, and a simple Xièxie (thank you) can go even further.

Truly the other side of the world to my home in South Africa, life in Taiwan was a scary prospect. Since the first day I spent staring at my hostel room-wall hoping for a saviour that was never to come, I have indeed come along way. Somewhat a kind of ‘shock-therapy’ for a new traveller such as myself, Taiwan has proved to be a big start to my big adventure.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About phalx


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.