Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 6 January 2008 | Views [882] | Comments [1]

The stop over in Buenos Aires has done us a lot of good. We have stayed at an older hotel, Tucuman Palace, right near the city centre.It is really clean and with a back room, it is very quiet, so we have had a good sleep at night.We were glad to have a last breakfast of croissant with peach jam this morning however! :) Its location made it easy to pop back there for a quick rest or to drop a parcel off and so on.

We have gone on many walks.That is almost an understatement....most days we have walked until we nearly dropped!Most days it has been quite hot which was a good excuse to stop now and then and have a cool drink.

We walked to the San Telmo district, an older district near the old port area. Some of the streets are cobbled there and there are old buildingsand tree lined streets. here we decided the policy , If it poops it, you should scoop it, should be enforced.You had to be vigilant and keep an eye out for dangers underfoot, not only with poo, but with footpaths in dire need of repair.This area is famous for antique shops.We thought it very expensive.We had a cool drink at the historic Del Viejo Hotel (1890s), and a lught lunch in the Parque Lezama.The trees there were planted back in 1857, by merchant who owned the land. later his widow sold the land to the city council.

We went to the ^Plaza de Mayo and and saw where Evita gathered the masses and Madonna was portrayed doing the same in the movie. I went to Mass in the cathedral nearby and just before mass watched the two guards on duty at gen San Martin's tomb, go through the routine of being relieved of their duty, for the mass.We also went to the Ricoleta cemetry to see Evit's family mausoleum.it is the only one in the cemetry that has fresh flowers put on it every day. 

Our favourite place is the San Martin Plaza. The park there is beautiful with shady trees and many people taking advantage of the beautiful setting. We also think it could be called passion park as there are many couples in very passionate embraces there, especially as they are going theit separate ways after work.

We enjoyed Argentinian steak a few times, and were not disappointed.The tango is a fantastic dance and I would love to be able to do it.The Cafe tortoni is certainly worth a visit. People line up out on the footpath for a table. The tables are small wooden, marble topped ones, very old. The waiters are in suits with bowties.

We found a great place for a set lunch,. It is called Populus (art and food), as it displays original art work on the walls. It is new and trendy. The set was great, 2 courses of tasty food with a glass of wine and a coffee, for 23 pesos.

Will add more another time, but now we need to have a coffee and head to the dock to board the ship for the two week cruise to the south and up the west coast through the Chilean fjords to san Tiago, and then home. it is hard to believe that we are up to the last leg of our adventure.

 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Is that "up to the last leg" or "on our last legs"?

Maureen

  Maureen Jan 8, 2008 8:37 PM

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.