Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

La Paz

BOLIVIA | Monday, 17 December 2007 | Views [641]

Here we are in La Paz, the highest capital city in the world.It was quite an amazing view of the city as the bus arrived at the high outskirts and you looked down over the city spread over what once a crater and up the sides of the hills and mountains. In the background are snowcapped mountains.We were told that there can be a 10degree difference in temperature betwen the lowest and highest parts of the city. Also, water takes longer to boil here and boils at 85degrees.

The drive from Copacabana was very interesting and we could have been in New Zealand, we thought. We had to leave the bus at one point for us to catch a ferry across, while the bus went over on its own ferry.

The landscape changed to high plains and we drove through farming areas which we think were quite poor.The president has promised a redistribution of wealth and the people had a huge parade through the streets of La Paz that day. We passed parties going on in every village, with the Bolivian flags flying and chairs set out and food and drinks getting set up. There were also lots of weddings happening. The wedding gift stalls were set up with the presents wrapped up in cellophane.The ladies were out in their finery and best shawls.

This new policy has upset the richer areas of Sucre and Santa Cruz and there were some demomstrations there for independence!

The plains are very high and in some places not very far below the lower snowcapped mountain tops!

Peter did very well with his choice of hostal, as we just had to walk two blocks downhill to reach it.It didnt look much from the street, but after walking up the stairs it was really quiet and is a renovated old colonial Spanish house. Everything is clean and fresh and it was so nice, after the last couple of ordinary places. To boot there is a great coffee shop that serves good food and we go there for a buffet breakfast, as part of the accomodation deal. Yahoo! Cereal and real milk! What joy from simple pleasures..:)

We are close to the main part of town and have pottered around quite happily.I was able to walk across the steet to go to mass at the San Francisco church easily on Saturday night. The singing was lovely, led by a man playing a guitar.

Peter found a jumper that has arms long enough and a coat to use on the ship so he is happy.

Yesterday we took a tour to Tanakawa ( I must check spelling and edit )Will add some notes on this later. There is the site to walk through and an interesting museum that holds a lot of ceramics and some utensils.One incredible exhibit is a mummy in foetal position, as they were done, covered in a coarsely woven bag, head exposed. These were placed in little mudhouses which were built in special places. We saw some built high in difficult places in the mountains in Colca canyon.

Today we went Moon Valley on the outskirts of the city.This is so called because the soil has been eroded so severely by wind and rain that there are tall stalagnites, is the best way to describe them and furrows and it is an eery sight.

Tomorrow we have a day to walk to the main square and do whatever, as we decided it was not worth the risk of going all the way to the salt lake( about 12 hours ) to find it awash and not be able to see it properly. The travel agent there told the lady here he was not sure a tour could go yet.So we have to wait until Wednesday for a flight to Sucre, then to Santa Cruz for Christmas and after that to Iguasu Falls. The distances make things a bit tricky here.

Peter will put up some photos when he has access to a computer that he can use the camera connections with. Meanwhile, we are both fine and happy. 

Tags: Adventures

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.