Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

Arequipa

PERU | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [737] | Comments [3]

We arrived in AREQUIPA flying from Lima,where we had a 2 hour stopover. We did not leave the airport as reports about Lima are not good. Stunning scenery on the flight. Towards the coast, desert and snow topped mountains to the left at the same height of the plane. Arequipa is surrounded by 3 volcanoes, one active, and the remaining countryside is desert. The centre square is a hive of activity bothe during the day and night.We feel very safe here. Many coffees,low carb chocolate cake, lemon tarts, milkshakes and apple pie with ice cream.

 We ventured to Colca Canyon, 3 hours from here on a tour to see the worlds second deepest canyon. We saw 6 or so condors (wings spans about 3 metres) flying in and above the canyon. Fantastic.The scenery is mind blowing. Visited the hot springs but did not go in. It seemed as if every tourist in Peru was there. Kathryn got altitude sickness once again. It really knocks her around. At our hostal in Chivay ( colca canyon) Kathryn joined the local music troupe and played the goat horn rattles, sometimes even in beat. She was rewarded with the goat horns as a gift.A group of Aussies are doing a Peregrine tour and we chatted to them. They live at Samford ,Aspley, West Chermside and the Gap. Small world.

We are staying very close to the main plaza in Arequipa, so we walk to the artisan markets, but are I am controlling Kathryn so far.The restuarants here are great. I had trout and seafood cannilone last night and pizza the night before, typical Peruvian food.We took a guided tour of the Monasterio de Santa Catalina (a nunnery city, still going) just a block from the main plaza. Very expensive to see.$10 USD. The most we have paid for any attraction.

Our Irish friends took the night bus to Cusco (9 hours). We fly from here Saturday 5:50 am to join them. We have met some great young people on our trip and are getting ideas of what to do next and how to save a dollar or two. Today we are getting photos copied onto disc, gathering the laundery and having some more low fat cake

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

I like the sounds of your really 'basic' diet. Have coffe and cake become a new food group?

  Trish Dec 1, 2007 1:18 PM

2

Yes but it was a 'low' fat cake Trish

  wayne Dec 5, 2007 8:35 PM

3

Oh! Of course .. how silly of me ... just like Kathryn's low fat scones and cream ...

  Trish Dec 7, 2007 9:17 PM

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.