Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

Around Otavalo

ECUADOR | Monday, 5 November 2007 | Views [723] | Comments [2]

Today we explored the area north around Otavalo using the local bus.It was very easy as they run every 15 mins or so, and are very cheap.

We stoppped off at Cotacachi and walked around the museum they have, the cultural centre where you can see the efforts they are making in adult education and virtual schooling,and the white domed church, La Matriz, both worth the time to look. This area is known for leather work.

We headed further north to Ibarra which is supposed to be The White City due to the colour of the houses and the red rooves, but it looked like.... a big city is a city is a city to us and we caught the next bus back to Cotacachi for lunch. It had a bit of character. We ate a set menu at a very nice restaurant called "La Marqueza", entertained by a group of 4 men playing traditional instruments. This lunch was a crepe filled with a tuna mix ( which even Peter liked), a bowl of hearty vegetable soup which Vince would have loved, a piece of grilled chicken with salad& cold vege pieces and a special dessert drink for this time. All for 5.50 each.

We made some leather purchases as the prices are very very good.

We got on another bus(this time the money collector knew us from previous trips and looked after us) and headed to Quiroga, a few mins down the track and from there got a taxi to Laguna de Cuicocha, a beautiful,huge lake formed in the crater of a dormant volcano.There are two volcanic cones that form two islands in the huge lake.It was a bit overcast and lovely to see, and I am sure it would be glorious in sunshine.

Then it was back to Quiroga, this time in a pickup and the driver let two little ones hitch a ride in the back, down the mountain.

Had a less demanding day on the feet, but a full day just the same.It is amazing how the people use the hills and mountain sides to grow their crops.They create a patchwork pattern over the countryside. There were plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit at the markets yesterday.

I should mention that I started the day at the Franciscan churh with Mass. It was a packed church and was a very humbling experience.These dear old people walking in, right up to almost the end, in some cases in their traditional clothes.Some placed pictures, perhaps of loved ones who had died, that were wrapped in cloth, under the altar.When I went to communion I again noticed that no young people went to communion.There were not a lot of young people at this mass. We did see a big what must have been a children´s gathering when we went in to the church at Cotachachi. Both the churches had magnificent altars and it did seem a little at odds with the community.Everyone puts something in the bag at collection time, even it is a very small offering.

We are now off to have a banana split at the great heladeria  as our tea.

A later note.....at the heladeria we were lucky enough to watch the owners make the helados icecream. We had wondered about the basin set in the counter, the first time we were there.There is a copper basin set in the counter and straw and ice are placed in it. Then the ingredients,we noticed strawberry syrup and whipped eggwhites,are stirred in another wide dish which sits on the straw and ice layer. The dish is spun around and around as the ingredients are added and beaten with a large spoon. Gradually the mix turns to helados. It was a treat to watch.

Tags: adventures

Comments

1

Did Peter manage to find a TAB while you were at church? Perhaps there was tortoise racing!

  Maureen Nov 6, 2007 8:40 PM

2

A pity you didn't go into Ibarra to try some of Heleda de Rosalia. German's friend Marco is her grandson and has a at Guayalabamba where the zoo is and on Avenida Shyri in Quito. The iececreams are scrumptious. I love Taxa and Naranjillo the best but there are numerous other flavours(mango is to die for if in season. They are made by hand by manually turning a copper or something pan by hand on a bed of ice and are so refreshing. We were in Guayallbamba looking at fincas to buy but decided it was too hot for us. It's only 40 minutes from Quito and accessible by numerous buses. We went by car each time though. Ibarra also has a delightfyl church where the statue on the church has a rosary in his hands and it swings in the breeze. There used to be zoo in the grounds but nowe I think all the animals are in the zoo at Guayallbamba. Actually Ibarra is a lovely city - not too big, safe and rather nice. I wouldn't mind living there as it is rather more like a large country town than a city.

I have sent a private email to you re another matter.

  Julie Nov 7, 2007 8:58 PM

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.