Existing Member?

A Journey Around The World Better living our dreams than dreaming our life ! Carpe Diem. . .

Bye Bye Jungle

PERU | Tuesday, 10 April 2012 | Views [222]

The boat is at 6 this morning. We see it the other side of the Ene, its a commercial boat, which usually never stop, we yell and wave they finally see us and make a ''U Turn'' on the river to pick up us. We are not as lucky as the first time, the driver doesnt know how to drive. We got stuck in the middle of the river cos there was not enought water ! Guys have had to jump in the water to push the boat, we finally leave again, and then 5 mins after oupss stuck again ! We finally made it, but not at the good destination. This boat didnt go further than Pichari. We have to take a taxi to an other city than we transfer to an other taxi to an other city and then we find something else from there to go to Ayacucho. One hour and a half on the crappy dirt roads, I am wondering if we will make it to the first city, I feel the rocks knocking under the car and the car goes so slow. On our way, I realize we are not in a good place, when I see all the coca field around me. Yup, Yup, I am really in the narko-traficant zone and I still have 12 hours to spend here. We made it to the second city, we take a small combi for the next hour and half. We can see that people are not use to see gringos here. Everybody look at us weirdly, probably wondering what the hell are we doing there ! We made it to the third city, we look for a night bus, but finally take an other combi, the next one leave at 3:30. We still have 2 hours to kill. We go for a walk, buy some food for the road, bread and avocados, the next trip will be 8 hours. There is big trucks full of people with guns passing on the street everywhere, people still look at us weirdly. We finally leave, the road is so small we got stuck at night, a big van and a car were face to face, not able to move anymore. After half an hour they find a solution and can keep going again. We should stop too often, at night there is often assault and terrorist attack on this road that a gild is talking with the driver. They stop you car with chain or big trucks and come with their guns to steal all you stuff...and who knows what else can happen...The road is pretty dangerous, I dont want to look outside the window, because of the ravine...I prefere trying to sleep. I wake up when the car stop, I look around we are in a village, their is people all around the car and two guy in front of the car holding a rope to stop us. I dont really understand why...I dont want to ask, lets just say that we are in the red zone...They let us go fortunately, its happen twice again during the night in other villages but with chains instead of rope. Luckily nothing bad happen. Eleven O'clock, I can see the light from the city far far away, we are now on a paved road, makes me feel better. We made it to Ayacucho without problems ! 

About perkele


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.