Existing Member?

Untold stories of Manila

Days with the fishermen

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [352] | Scholarship Entry

“So this is the Pacific”. Lame but honestly, these are the only words I’d whisper to myself after being hypnotised by the ocean’s heaven-like serenity. It surreal to see how the thick bed of clouds open holes for sun beams to bring light to fishermen of Diura in the wide ocean like spotlights on a theatre stage. It’s a normal day for these men. Either a usual scene you'll see where I am at the edge hilltop the Racuh a payamanan (big pasture). For seconds, I was wondering why I wonder on seeing such a normal scene. I was so lost that I can’t even remember why I am sitting on this large pasture hills only to do nothing but hold my DSLR camera and froze. So how did I end up here?

Most tourist say there is nothing much to see in Diura fishing village other than the Dorado (dolphin fish) seen dried on every hut and a rocky seashore facing the Pacific. Luckily, a local offered his home to us so we had a chance know the place better.

Located at east part of Batanes it's treasures of mysticism and beliefs lie in this small village. They believed in large Guardian stone Tumaruk stands just beside the village who protects them from the harsh nature of the Pacific ocean. Before the fishing season begins they perform a ritual offering pig to the guardian to give them a bountiful catch.
Just at the back of the village where stiff cliffs stands hides an ancient fortress called Idjang.

The locals also surprise me as we started to mingle with them. The were very open to share their thoughts and doubts about how religion portray God just like telling a good cartoon episode on a kid. I mentioned to them that I planned to stay in Racuh a Payamanan for a night before we leave for Manila.

As lucky as it seems, Mang Hendring, a local in Diura showed me a stiff but quicker route to my last daring itinerary. I wake up speechless seeing the sun set almost at the level of the hills. And at the bottom of the hills seeing my fishermen friends sail away to catch their daily blessings at the ocean.

For a brief moment that despite all these coincidences of meeting normal people having heard of unvoiced dilemmas and wondering through the secrets of the village. I realized that I was dragged here in this particular place to really do nothing but see all the ingredients commune together to perfectly portray a glimpse of heaven on earth. We are the ingredients.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About penguinboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.