Existing Member?

The beginning

Leshan, Emei Shan, Yangtze River, Yangshuo, Hong Kong - The whirlwind update

CHINA | Monday, 23 April 2007 | Views [571]

Leshan - Monday 26th March.  Went to see the Grand Buddha and chill in the surrounding grounds for a few hours.  Brilliant place although I think I'd slightly ruined the experience for myself as I already knew what the Buddha was going to look like so wasn't as overawed.

Emei Shan - Tuesday 27th & Wednesday 28th March.  After never having heard of this place before coming on this trip I think it's my favourite place.  Or perhaps experience would be a better way to put it.  The summit had a massive statue of Buddha and a few of temples but it wasn't that.  The views from the top took my breath away.  Photos don't do it justice and neither can my words.  I was dumbstruck and completely moved, I experienced a complete feeling of peace.  The rest of the walking we did here was enjoyable but it was a bit of a tourist trap.  It was completely surreal staying in monasteries though.  Wasn't a fan of being woken up at 4am or some other ridiculous hour though!

Yangtze River - Thursday 29th March to Sunday 1st April.  Hmmm, mixed feelings about this trip.  It was probably my least favourite part of China.  We had some fun times on the boat - especially learning how to play Mah Jong.  Nevertheless, seeing things that were going to be lost and the people that were being displaced and losing their family homes left a bitter taste.  No amount of positive spin could lift the mood of the group.

Yangshuo - Tuesday 3rd to Thursday 5th April.  Had a lot of fun here.  Quite touristy but it meant you didn't get stared at quite so much!  Did a fair amount of souvenir shopping and got some good bargains.  Indulged in eating some western food although very quickly missed my noodles!  Had some cool nights in the bars drinking cocktails.  Also went on a bike ride in the countryside which was really nice - flat terrain is always appreciated!  Had to miss out on a cooking class as I came down with a fever which was very annoying but not much I could do about that.  Managed to fit in a calligraphy lesson though, it is so much harder than it looks!

Hong Kong - Friday 6th to Tuesday 10th April.  Loved Hong Kong.  Spent just the right amount of time here I think.  There was definitely lots more to see and do but it was also a lot more expensive than mainland China!  Went up to Victoria Peak, saw the light show, went to the Museum of Art and the History Museum and did a great deal of general wandering!  Saw a break dancing competition which went on for about 7 hours I think.  They played about 10 seconds of a Head Automatica track in one of the rounds which totally surprised me!  The city had a nice feel though and would love to go back.

Tags: Culture

About peggy_sue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.