Existing Member?

Bookshelf of Memories

Magic in the air

INDIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [275] | Scholarship Entry

My parents did their graduate studies in India, and at that time we were too young to remember most of the things, so when people asked us about India, we could barely tell them anything. It is after all, one of the most interesting countries in the world, which is why me and my siblings made a decision to go on a 6 day trip to India. We traveled to our old in-campus house, remembered the vague and unclear times where me and my sister used to play 'house' on the rooftop of the apartments, the freshly made bread from the bakery not far from our home, the only way I could describe it was a little like 'remembering forgotten memories' or 'flashes of a past-life', it was almost movie like. Because we had not gone back to India after my parents finished their studies, it was an experience to say the least, and I would recommend it more than anything to anyone. But the real story here is when we drove to the place we lived near to for years but did not travel to, like a dream within the line of your vision, the world's symbol for Love, the world wonder; Taj Mahal. It was 5 hours trip, the roads were bumpy, we got car sick, but we made it. And as our tour guide told us facts and stories about the place, I found myself catching my breath and randomly stopping midway in amazement. If ever you could feel electricity in the air, it was then, if ever you could feel magic in the air, it was then. If you have not read the story of Taj Mahal, I suggest you google it now, but it was not just the history of the place that made it feel out of this world, it was something else. It was as if you could feel the emotions felt in this place, the king who made a monument for his wife to show his love, the millions of other people who came there with the same sentiment, at that time I looked at my siblings and thought, It might have been better if I was here with someone I loved, but then the thought quickly changed and I remember thinking I love my siblings too, so it is memorable. After a few hours of walking around the place, it was time to go home, and though I felt like I could spend days walking here, years maybe, at the gates I turned back and looked at the building one last time, that's when our tour guide chuckled and said "There is a saying in Agra, those who turn and look back at the Taj Mahal before they go will return here once more." I smiled and thought, I wouldn't mind coming here again, for it was the first time I... felt Magic in the air.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About pcyra


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.