Existing Member?

Preema works with street children in the YMCA My journey in India!!!!

3 weeks already!!!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 6 February 2009 | Views [639] | Comments [7]

Hi all

Sorry i havent updated you all in some time. Coming back after work gets tiring and you just want to rest before heading out in the evening. So work has been fun this week. I bought the kids at the shelter some goodies! 2 cricket bats, balls, play dough, colouring pencils and paint books. For the really young ones i got them some puzzles to pass their time with. I took a couple of the older boys with me to town so that i could get this all at a decent price- despite speaking whatever hindi i have picked up here the local shop owners will still know you are a foreigner and rip you right off! It was great fun seeing the boys play cricket- i even managed to hit a few 6's here and there ;-)!!! Its amazing that its the small things that keep these kids so happy here. Whenever i ask them if there is anything that they would like me to buy for them- they only want games or sports equipment. If you were to ask a kid from london- you'd here an ipod or nintendo!

For the first time i actually enjoyed having a chat with the older boys that are in their 20's. Most of them are married by 23 and have children that also come to the shelter. It is angering that they all feel the need to keep having more and more kids when they are so poor and live the way they do. I have so many questions to ask them but the language is a big barrier here as they all speak tamil or kannada. I got speaking to a young boy that had slit his whole arm because he fell for a girl that didnt love him back. A lot of the kids you see in the shelter have experienced some horrible unimaginable things in their lives.  You just need to see their body and you can figure it out. I was bathing one of the older boys and saw that he had blade marks all over his back and chest. I asked one of the boys what had happened to him and he said that jesus had done it to him. So sad to see how some of the young kids are mentally troubled and what they do. Everyday you see new faces, some that come in stoned or drunk and want to see the volunteers and others that just come in for company and to have some food. The kids are good fun to be around and surprisingly the young girls that are in the shelter are a lot more aggressive than the boys. They generally bully and go around hitting the other kids and their younger siblings that they bring with them. There are 2 notorious girls in my shelter that use any opportunity to wack the little toddlers and when they are scoulded they pull a face and run off. Patience is something you def learn out here!

Apart from the work i have been doing- i have been out here and there with my family and friends. Went to stay at Aparnas house at the weekend and went out for karishmas husbands bday at a lovely bar and then had a bbq the next day. Lots of food and booze to keep us going till the early hours of the morning! Yesterday went for a bollywood night at the leela palace hotel- such a beautiful place! Had such a blast with these guys- wish they lived in london! Unfortunately the clubs close at 11.30 so we have to continue the party at home! Havent done any shopping here yet- shock i know!!! Will wait to hit the stores in bombay!

I havent been well today and it seems i have caught a cold. Nose is running and throat is very sore. The late nights and change of weather is prob the cause. Been taking natural herbal remedies so hopefully i will be back to normal in the next few days. Am going to a sangeet tonight with karishma and co. Her friend is getting married this weekend so looking forward to that.

Hope you enjoyed the pics and now you can all put faces to the names!

Hope you are all well!

p.s i have extended my trip and will be back on the 15th march!! Sorry! xx

Comments

1

Hi Preemlo,

I put a message on the wall last week, but i hit the wrong key and the damn thing just went blank. SO here is another attempt to say how proud and happy we are to see you doing such a great job out there. The wonderful thing is you are a nightingale by the day and -no not a belly dancer!- a socialite in the evenings! Couldn't be better. YOu are getting to experience the two vastly contrasting aspects of India all in a day.The funny thing is they have coexisted for years and I guess will continue to do so, sadly despite India Shining as they say. India is sadly saddled with corruption and dirty politics. So ironic also to see the contrast between the wish lists of boys here and those out there - wretched gadgets for the haves and cricket bats and balls for the havenots! I wish you would extend your stay in Bombay because you are not going to have another opportunity once get back to our busy and programmed lives here. Lights are out here anyway for the time being. But you know best! Well, Preema, you have a good time and look after yourself. And get rid of your cold soon. Hope you are careful with water and cold stuff in the shops.

Love

Harish(Uncle)

  harish chande Feb 6, 2009 9:19 PM

2

Hi Preema,
Read your latest journal and saw the new additions of your pics in the gallery. Speaks volumes:'your kids' certianly know how to radiate that unique kind of inner happiness and contentment while playing and learning, etc, despite having no perosnal pc's, nintendos or any other basic things we take for grnated here. When u r back here, fancy sorting us out - supposedly better-off - for making a big deal for the puny snow in this odd cold spell? Not long to go before you say goodbye to 'your kids' and all those who are making your Bangalore stay so very memorable, rewarding and pleasant. I know you wont forget them ever. Take care, enjoy, keep up the good work and high spirits. Lots of love,

Dad

  Dad Feb 7, 2009 12:24 AM

3

Hi Preemlo

It was interesting reading yr update with details of your adventures with the kids - hitting 6's! Such simple fun and so much contentment which is no doubt also reflected in the photographs - beautiful pictures. Surprising that the girls are the ones who are more agressive - may be circumstantial? I am glad you are enjoying the experience and making the most of it.

How time is flying so fast - nearly coming to the end of your stay in Bangalore - no doubt you will miss it a lot, as well as all the cousins and friends who have made it so enjoyable.

Oh well Preema, look f/w to reading yr next update - hope you will have the time for it before yr departure from sunny B'galore. But at least you have Goa and Bombay to look f/w to. We are all trying to survive in this freezing cold weather - with more snow promised for this w/e too - its not fun. Lots of love to
you and everyone there. Kirufui

  Kirufui Feb 7, 2009 1:10 PM

4

beautiful pictures preems reflecting the great time you are so obviously having there...

missing u loads but happy you're staying on to make the most out of it!

keep taking care of yourself xx

  aviva Feb 10, 2009 9:28 AM

5

Missing you Preemy....Hurry up and come back! Loving all the pictures xxx

  Bhavisha Feb 11, 2009 3:37 AM

6

Hey JigneS

Read your blog, really appreciate the stuff you are doing, I wish I could sum up some time and stop all the excuses that are stopping me in doing something like what you are doing. I am sure this gives you so much mental satisfaction and you definitely are touching some needy hearts with the wonderful work you are doing. This quality will take you far in life. Its a pleasure to have met a girl like you.

Cheers
Taro Malak Mare Jovo Chhe

  Kunal Feb 12, 2009 7:57 PM

7

Hi Preema,
Your four-week work and play has now sadly come to an end in Bangalore...ahhh! Time seems to have just whizzed past. So perhaps there is one final instalment due from you as most memorable parting shot of the place before you hit the hot beaches of Goa?! Cant wait. Our many thanks to all, including 'your kids', for making your trip so worthwhile and memorable. Bon Voyage! Dad

Dad

  dad Feb 13, 2009 10:28 PM

About pchande


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.