Existing Member?

Undiscovered beauty

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

PAKISTAN | Wednesday, 23 March 2011 | Views [258] | Scholarship Entry

One of the major attractions of the Chitral region are the Kalash valleys. The world famous Kalash people live in the three valleys of Birir, Rumboor and Bumburate. The Kalash are an ancient tribe and have a religion and culture of their own. Their culture is as unique as it is amazing. You simply have to look at the traditional dress to understand why.

Their ancestry is enveloped in mystery and it is still the subject of controversy. A legend says that one General Salik Shah with five soldiers of the legions of Alexander of Macedon (that's for you Vasko) or as he's more commonly known - Alexander the Great, settled in Chitral and are the fathers of the Kalash.

We had a few days of walking through the valleys, playing with local kids, drinking the local hooch and just generally soaking up the atmosphere. Certainly the highlight however was the Kalash people themselves. They are extremely friendly and hospitable and we had no end of offers for food, tea, moonshine or just to simply come in and chat about nothing in particular.

Another thing that grabbed our attention was that the local women are all uncovered, out and about and are happy to have a chat to strangers. After the Middle East and other parts of Pakistan we've been to thus far it was a welcome occurrence.
There are still so many places to be discovered in this heavenly beautiful place in pakistan which has been shadowed by the apparent bombings and destructions.And due to this i had to end my journey a little before the decided date.


Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About pawash


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.