Existing Member?

Travels Stories of Yunnan Province, China

Guilin - Guangxi Province

CHINA | Sunday, 12 October 2014 | Views [356]

Streetseller with huge Chestnut cake

Streetseller with huge Chestnut cake

We caught 2 flights from Shangri-La to Guilin ...a much more expensive option than planned, but quick . It is warmly pleasant to be here after the chills of Shangri-La. The balmy climes suit us better.... and  it has been out with the shorts and T shirt.   The attractions of this region are the yellowing rice fields, the Li River and the limestone karsts...but in Guilin it surely must be the shopping!! Amazingly trendy clothes and the streets are shopping heaven for shopaholics!! We are in the Backstreet Youth Hostel hich is conveniently located near the cheap eats and shops. A Leisure shop a couple of doors down cater for all needs!!

Prices are sometimes comparably with Oz and at others a third to half what we would usually pay.... no comment on the cost of  the 'special' leisure activities.

Unexpected cultural surprises continue to keep us interested at every corner. .... kissing fish spas where fish nibble your toes.....the man doing calligraphy in water in the park on the paving... the glass artist who made Neil a dolphin on request.... the  bridge based streetseller selling slices of a huge chestnut cake.... the woman in leopard spot hotpants, fishnet stockings and platformed bright pink shoes  servicing an official in Seven Star Park behind closed doors......

About paulinemendes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.