Existing Member?

Travels Stories of Yunnan Province, China

Lijiang - Old City

CHINA | Sunday, 5 October 2014 | Views [547]

Festive couple, Ancient Lijiang

Festive couple, Ancient Lijiang

Awesome Lijiang (Old City) !

We are staying in the International Youth Hostel which sits conveniently near the Old City. I was expecting Lijiang to be similar to Dali Old City, but it is even more beautiful  and awesome. It is slightly less invaded by tourists. The carved archtecture is extraordinary and set beside babbling water canals, potted flowers in bloom, carved windows and doorways and private garden courtyards. Many of the old houses are now inns or boutique hotels. The narrow alleyways are paved in cobbled stone and lends to stepping back in time. A truly wonderfully restored and maintained part of Lijiang in spite of the rampant tourism.

The restaurants, jewellery, clothing, art, leather, weaving, drums  & music are abundant. The range varies from street sellers to classy and expensive boutique style shops. The prices are quadrupled for tourists, but bargaining is all the go and travelelrs can get good deals after haggling.

The variety of food has tempted us to try waaaay too much - roasted corn from a street seller,  hot roasted  skewered BBQ meat , mango, sweet purple grapes, watermelon juice, egg cake, steamed rice balls with sweetened nut fillings, rice baskets, fish & Tofu soup.....yummmmm! and there's lots more for the more adventurous and those who can read Chinese menus...or you can choose your live fresh fish from its basket in front of the restaurant!

Bon appetit!

About paulinemendes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.