Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

17/12/2012 Port Lincoln to Wangary and Coffin Bay

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 17 December 2012 | Views [1512] | Comments [1]

Today I headed off to Wangary, 45km west of Port Lincoln, near Coffin Bay, to visit Nadine and Luke, a couple I met at the Tumby Bay caravan park recently. I travelled light, taking only a few clothes and some water and the ride seemed effortless despite some undulation. On the way I stopped at Big Swamp to see the great bird life including the distinctive grey Cape Baron Geese.

Big Swamp

Nadine and Luke's house is powered by sun and wind and they spend their time fishing, tending their vegie garden and sharing their produce with friends on nearby properties.

Shortly after I arrived we took a drive around Coffin Bay,

 Coffin Bay

Dutton Bay with the old wool shed near the jetty, Farm Beach with its collection of old tractors used to launch fishing boats,

Tractors Near Farm Beach

Emus Near Farm Beach

with views to the Coffin Bay National Park and Mount Dutton (in the shape of the sleeping Aboriginal).

 Mount Dutton

Then we stopped to get some fresh Coffin Bay Oysters straight off the boat.

Oysters

Today I could see the beauty of the Lower Eyre Peninsula with its coastal parks, golden grain fields stretching as far as the eye can see, and its blue mountains in the background, so different to the rolling green hills of Victoria.  I am told that the area is quite spectacular in August and September with its green hills and golden wattle. A delicious dinner including the local oysters, washed down with a glass of wine topped off a great day and amazing hospitality. I'm looking forward to going fishing tomorrow if the weather is suitable.


 

 

Coffin Bay Oysters

Coffin Bay Oysters

Comments

1

Hi Pauline, We had such a ball with you here. You are welcome anytime to come back to us to go fishing again at our secret fishing spot and out fish us again. We wish you all the best on your travels.

  Nadine and Luke Dec 25, 2012 12:47 PM

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.