Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

And finally.......

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 24 October 2012 | Views [554] | Comments [3]

Wow what an amazing journey! 

Firstly thank you to all my family and friends (old and new) who have followed my blog, sent me messages, and given me encouragement and support along the way. A special thanks to Marg my Chief Communications Officer who travelled to visit me for a weekend and spoiled me with great cooking, and my sister Mary and brother Danny for sponsoring me through a donation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
 
Thanks Al for your amazing support, helping me to overcome fears and obstacles, drying my tears, giving me a kick along when I needed it (ouch!), and providing all manner of coaching and remote technical support including electronic mapping, camp site locations and lessons about the wind, all from 2500+ kms away! Gradually letting out the rope as I approached the border, allowed me to put into practice what I'd learned, and knowing that you were still there when needed provided a valuable safety net. I would never have achieved or even attempted this without your encouragement and support! Thanks too for helping me to get a reliable bike and good quality gear which were worth every cent and allowed me to be safe, comfortable, warm and dry.
 
Thanks for sharing my journey and know that in your own way each of you have contributed to my success and helped me to achieve this goal and that will stay with me forever. 
 
It feels a quantum leap from the day I wobbled down the road in Marshall outside Geelong with some trepidation to begin my first and solo, 'self sufficient' bicycle tour, to the day I rode quietly and confidently along the River Torrens into Adelaide six weeks and 1000 kms later. I look back with satisfaction at what I have achieved. I've carried all my own gear, charged my equipment by the sun, camped along the way, ridden the beach, gravel, highways and hills in the wind, rain and shine, conquered fears and self doubt, and developed stamina and a little self reliance. What a fantastic learning opportunity it has been!
 
There have been many great days and plenty of tough days. I've met many wonderful people who have inspired me and shown me great kindness and generosity, something which was totally unexpected and for which I am very grateful. I've seen many beautiful places up close, gone off the beaten track a little, learned a little history and increased my fitness levels. It's been a fantastic experience and my best adventure yet!
 
Bicycle touring; So much more than the bicycle!
 
Stay tuned for my next rolling adventure which will be documented here soon, after I return to Melbourne to make the necessary arrangements. Please keep in touch everyone. All comments reach me by email.
 
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is............(from Audrey)
 
Pauline

 

Tags: adelaide, australia, bike, south australia

Comments

1

Good on you Pauline you still are an inspirational woman well done for arriving safely at your destination it was a pleasure meeting and chatting to you on your travels, good luck with future ones,

  Angela from Beachport Takeaway Oct 25, 2012 10:46 PM

2

Hi Pauline,

Fantastic to see you have completed your journey. What an adventure you continued on after we met you in Robe!! We cycled from Port Fairy to Koroit and lunched at the pub where they remembered you dropping in. Tonight is the last night of our trip - 7,500 ks - and we're looking forward to seeing our dog and friends and family tomorrow. Congratulations for the inspiring trek you've completed and we really love the pics. Keep on cycling, best wishes Ann & David

  Ann & David Chalmers Oct 26, 2012 6:07 PM

3

My Pleasure :) Wonderful to see you make it.

Where to now????? :)

Al

  Al Oct 28, 2012 11:08 AM

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.