Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

18/06/2013 Bullara Station

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 June 2013 | Views [1989] | Comments [1]

Had a broken nights sleep as my tent is right next to the communal campfire and some party goers continued until after midnight so in the morning I decide to stay another night but move my tent to another camping area. While I was investigating the shearers quarters accommodation I  met Jenny, a lovely lady from Perth who's doing research for a play she's writing. 
 
I relocated my camp site to a nice spot where there was only 1 other camper and away from the action but still close to another amazing bush bathroom. I found out later the hard way that it was actually the generator area.
 
Bullara Camp #2 
 
Bush Bathroom Bullara
 
Jenny, Steve the caretaker and I headed off round the property in the farm ute to collect some firewood and check the (wind)mills.
 
Collecting Wood Bullara
Bullara is considered a small station on 250,000 acres and runs 1200 breeding cattle (with floppy ears and pointy heads called Drought Masters from South Africa) and 10,000 head of sheep (not the shearing kind anymore, just for meat, although the shearing shed is still intact). They export to the Middle East and Indonesia but due to current meat export prices have not been doing any mustering for selling recently. Bore water is collected and pumped to the homestead and also pumped to the tanks at the mill sites to supplement water drawn by windmills and solar powered mills. These tanks provide water for the livestock. Steve and his wife Maggie, work here as caretakers doing all the cleaning of the campsite, the mill run, collecting firewood, stoking the hot water fires and meet and greet the visitors, a full time job which they travelled from QLD to take but originally met when working on a sheep station in the Pilbara many years ago.
Steve and I at Bullara Station
 
The owners are Tim and Edwina, all great people. Afternoon nap in my tent under the trees with faint voices in the distance and a crow in the tree.
 
 
Went to the red sand hills on the property with Jenny for the sunset before happy hour.
 
Sand Hills, Bullara
Cooked dinner on my own personal campfire using the fire grate that my Albany landlady Laura loaned me. Thanks Laura! Nice views from my tent. In one direction the fire smoldering and in the other the moon.
Sand Hills, Bullara Station

Sand Hills, Bullara Station

Tags: bullara station, gascoyne, western australia

Comments

1

Hi Pauline, this sounds like a nice way to finish the day moon and campfire, sounds like you are having a great time, Thanks for the opportunity to travel in the West with you and experience some of the great stuff WA has to offer.

Love Danny

  Danny Jun 24, 2013 8:48 PM

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.