Existing Member?

The Italian Job

Monday 22nd May - A Surprise Awaits Us In Venice

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 23 May 2017 | Views [418] | Comments [1]

7 o'clock this morning saw us both on our balcony as we very slowly edged our way into Venice. The sun was shining brightly as we passed St Mark's Square and we thoroughly enjoyed the slow journey through this iconic city to our berth for the day.

Another superb breakfast, and we were on our way. We walked from the port into Venice - a ten minute walk - Having visited Venice last year, and doing all the compulsory touristy things, we decided today that we would have a leisurely walk around the side streets, over the bridges and along the canals. Our first port of call was to our favourite restaurant, a trattoria that we found on our last visit, for a coffee.

Then it was off in the direction of the Rialto Bridge, one of the most famous bridges in the world. Four steps up the bridge and we literally bumped into two good friends from Martlesham Heath. Unknown to us Sam and Stuart are on the same cruise as us - they knew we were on the cruise but had sworn Lucy, our daughter, to secrecy, knowing they would bump into us at some point, and what a place to meet them!! We enjoyed a very pleasant hour with them, with wine and beer in hand ! It took us quite a time to stop laughing about the unbelievable coincidence of us both being on the same trip. Whatever is the chance of meeting like this among the millions of people in this city. 

We then went our separate ways and we visited St Mark's Square, admiring the very ornate St Mark's Basilica. We continued on our way slowly back to the ship, again enjoying all the sights of this totally unique city. As we wandered through the back streets you could hear piano music filling the air as you passed by. One of the highlights of the day for us was a trip across the Grand Canal on a 'standup' Gondola. These are called Traghettis and for two euros they transfer you across the Grand Canal whilst the passengers standup! A great experience.

 We collected our afternoon tea to enjoy on our balcony and enjoyed the slow journey in the afternoon sun, as we leave Venice heading for our next port.

Dinner this evening was another joy.  Especially a wine that we found hidden on the wine list, an unusual Shiraz Rose from Australia. Another visit to the Starlight Bar to see the Take That Tribute band called Beautiful World and what a highly polished and very professional show they gave. What a wonderful day - we do appreciate how lucky we are, enjoying such wonderful days together amongst the turbulent days there are in the world these days.

Comments

1

Hi guys glad your having such a great time. The food sounds wonderful and all the wonderful sites. Am enjoying reading of your adventures.
Love Les xx

  Lesley May 24, 2017 2:07 AM

About paulfirman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.