Existing Member?

The Italian Job

Friday 19th May - Hand Jivers and A Day at Sea

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 20 May 2017 | Views [400]

 

We woke fairly early, pulled back the curtains and was greeted by the sun dancing on the flat calm Mediterranean Sea. We sat and had a coffee on our very private balcony.

Breakfast was, again, a culinary delight containing all the usual suspects from a cruising era long forgotten. The smoked haddock with lightly cooked poached eggs was delicious.

As, with our previous cruises, we are delighted to find ourselves at the "younger" end of the passenger list.

We attended an informative lecture after breakfast about the ports of call for the next week. We then went on a discovery tour of the ship and found Marco Pierre White's restaurant. This is on the to do list. After dodging walking sticks, Zimmer frames, wheelchairs and even motorised wheel chairs we made our way safely back to our stateroom for a relax on the balcony, before facing more food for lunch.

After lunch a walk around the Lido area seemed a good idea. There was a duo playing sixties and seventies music. We watched on as a collection of the more senior people were really getting down to it with some serious hand jiving!! These people know how to party. Thank goodness they were all sitting down - mind you I don't think they had a lot of choice.

A very relaxing afternoon was interrupted by the arrival of 4.00pm - Afternoon Tea Time! Finger sandwiches, toasted tea cakes, fruit scones with jam and cream and a good selection of home made cakes and pastries together with bottomless cups of tea. All lovely. We will start the diet when we get home!

At 6.00pm we made our way up to a now deserted Lido. The hand jivers had long gone - we suspect they were now sipping their cocoa and getting ready for bed. We had all the area to ourselves and enjoyed soaking in the hot tub looking up at the sky watching the fading sun setting in the west. The pool was also nice and warm. After a shower and a G&T on our balcony we were now all set up for a Black tie evening and "Meeting the Captain reception."

El captain was a grand fellow especially as he was footing the drinks bill. We did a selfie with him and we drifted into another fabulous three course dinner. The milk fed calves liver and venison kidneys were out of this world as was the poached salmon. A very nice Chardonnay. Followed by watching a "Take That" tribute band. Now time for some shut eye as our ship cruises through the nighttime waters heading for Dubrovnik. 

 

About paulfirman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.