Existing Member?

Kaylee's Birthday Trip

Getting Excited

USA | Tuesday, 4 December 2012 | Views [676]

When my children turned 13 - we did not get a BIG party - or a Bar Mitzvah.... Instead, each kiddo was treated to a trip without siblings - just them and I - on a trip to the place of their dreams.  It was a way to celebrate and honor them - to shower them with love and attention.  Another huge benefit was-to help open their eyes to the larger world.

Unfortunatley, when Kaylee turned 13, our family life was in chaos.  Divorse, money issues etc.  She and I thought it would be wonderful to hike Kilimanjaro for her trip - but this dream was expensive and involved taking alot of time off for a newly emplyed mother.  So - we delayed.  We delayed for 7 years!

Now that Kaylee is in Tanzania with her college studying amazing stuff at the base of Kilimanjaro - it seems that the time has come for me to get myself over there and spend some one-on-one time with my girl.  We decided not to hike Kili - but to Scuba and Trek instead.  We are both past excited to spend time with each other - with her sharing with me her home for the past 5 months.  Tickets are purchased, reservations are made, shots in arms, pills in backpack - 3 more days and off I go to meet her in Dar Es Saalam.  I can barely focus my mind on my work - I just want to board that plane and GO!

 

 

Tags: waiting

About paulettedepumpo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.