Existing Member?

Auêi! - 'Cause where there's a will...

The Honey Island

BRAZIL | Sunday, 17 May 2015 | Views [142] | Scholarship Entry

I was sitting on a bench outside Curitiba’s bus station thinking about my next step. My bags were by my feet, it was kinda cold and the Sun hadn’t appeared all day. 20 minutes before I jumped out of a bus coming from Itapoá, a beach in Santa Catarina. That was the day I should get my bus to my next stop before coming home to São Paulo that summer. But I was down. I was tired. Since I went camping before my luggage was really heavy. Itapoá was kind of a bummer and if I chose to keep on the road I’d still have an hour on a bus plus a ferry and a boat. I was expecting some sign telling me to keep going.
While I was trying to figure things out some bees came to bother my private thoughts. They were really determined to call my attention. Suddenly I realized I was the only person being chased by bees. That was it. I couldn’t take it anymore. I was gonna light up a cigarette and get the next bus to São Paulo. As I was smoking the bees did not give up, and then I realized. I should keep going. That was my sign, those bees where telling me something, they were saying: go to the Honey Island.
Two hours latter I was sharing a boat with a couple to my B&B. The sound of the engine, the water and that infinite of nothing made my day, even if the Sun was shy. We landed and a guy on a bike said: Welcome to the Magical Honey Island. I smiled. An old lady was sitting on a deck looking peaceful and full of wisdom. She explained that there were no banks and only the hotels accepted cards. I didn’t have much money but I had my card. I’d be ok.
The old lady said the tide was rising so the best thing to do was to explore the surroundings. I was in no place of denying the wisdom of the matriarch of the family.
I walked around the beach for a while, went back, got a beer, stood on the deck watching the ocean. The couple that came with me was walking through the beach and coming towards me. They asked for my name, I said it. Then my last name, I thought that was weird, but I said it. The guy took a card from his pocket and gave it to me. It was my credit card. It must have fallen out of my pocket while I was walking. I don’t know how he found it. The idea of not having enough money and no credit card made me shiver. If that guy had not spotted my card I'd be screwed. Apparently Honey Island is a magical place indeed, the next days would prove it even more. I’m really grateful to those annoying bees. I didn’t know yet, but that was about to become the best trip of my life.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About patlavisqui


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.