Existing Member?

(Occupation: Student)

Passport (Occupation: Student)

FRANCE | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [436] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up here, uruguayan guy in Paris? Studying. Not a formal, established, career. I´m not talking about degrees or masters. It doesn´t matter the papers and certificates earned (those someone is supposed to have or the others expect from you), I´ve never stopped being a student. That´s why I learn so much from so many different places. And people. And every time I learned more, more opportunities opened to me, and more needs of travelling and keep knowing this land. Knowing as much as I could. And also, all those experiences, tastes, people, sensations, histories, habitudes, drugs, foods, flavours, loves, colors, and musics of every kind, so different and connected at the same time, things that you learn and teach, things that you share with others. And politics, and economies, and ways of watching the same world, and angers and debates and encounters. And else.
That´s how I end up here, that´s why I travelled for so long so many times. And that´s why I keep on moving. I´m living in France, but just for the moment. Then I don´t know, as many others I found in this travel. All of them, passing by, as me, in this planet. Knowing, as if possible, everything.
But everything is not possible. It´s not real. And we also learn that. We miss, and much, those we leave behind, the family and friends, the kids and those we don´t see grow up (or we see them from time to time, every some months when we return for a visit, or every time we communicate from the distance, but always with that screen between us).
I guess that´s why I choose to put in the section of my passport, in that little place where it says what is your profession or occupation, "student". No matter how many titles and degrees and works I´ve done. No matter how many visas I had collected in my different passports (because in this world, unfortunately, some of us are demanded for visas and permits to get into certain places and some of us don´t, depending on where you were born). I think putting "student" in that case is the closest thing to what I think I am. Always with the curiosity of going a little far away, but also always remembering those who have passed before.
But I´m not sure if next time I renew my passport I´m going to put "student" again. And that´s what this is all about.
That´s the idea. Keep moving. Putting as many things I can on my bag, and leaving behind others in the journey. But there are some things that rest with you forever in the way. And they don´t weight too much.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About pasaporte


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.