Existing Member?

first backpacking trip

My new adventure alone

THAILAND | Saturday, 30 January 2010 | Views [534] | Comments [1]

So my Chev Lev (Stacey) went back to Canada.  No we didnt fight or anything she just got sick of having bed bugs biting her, shitty accommo, and hauling a 30pnd bag on her back lol.  First reaction eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaomg how am I going to survive!! It took the ferry ride from Phuket to PHi Phi for the panick to go away.  When it finally left I realized I needed to find a roommate cause I can't afford to be paying a whole $20 a night for a room and phi phi is pricey so it would probably be even more.  SO I'm walking down the street shoveling my face with food when I see this guy all alone carrying his oversized bag containing everything he owns.  So much like meeting Simon I ran up to him before he got too far food in hand mouth full and all and pulled him over.  At first his reaction to me seemed like he was irritated by a rodent but I came to realize he is just really shy and I think a little insecure about his English.  He is from Finland and a big teddy bear of a guy that you just want to hug but he carrys an invisible DONT FUCKEN TOUCH ME sign on his chest that I can see quite clearly.  It was his first day in Thailand and the lucky guy gets me haha. Well I convince him its smart to share a room with me cause all the dorm rooms in the hostels are taken.  So he reluctantly agrees with me and were off.  This lady pulls us a side and shows us her bamboo village.  Seeing as everything so far had been booked we decided to check it out. When we got there this lady gave us a price and of course I bartered with her and got a better deal.  Then Yoni my finish friend said I would have just paid what she asked the first or second time.  This made me realize just how used to being here I have become. So this literally was a bamboo village.  With grass for a room bamboo walls and a floor you could see right through.  We stayed in something similar before but this one was a couple steps down from this one.  In this one we didnt have the luxery of a bathroom or shower on the inside.  We got to do that outside yay! lol.  and the mosquito nets about the beds were covered in holes so everynight I would awake the sudden itching of mosquito bites.  i think i have three bites on every toe now. As soon as we got there I started to show Yoni around and was reminded of the beauty of Phi Phi.  It wasn't long though I wouldnt be able to enjoy it.  I suddenly got really really sick.  Not too surprising for me but I havent been sick pretty much this whole trip.  Not sure if it was sunstroke or not but anyways I pretty much puked for 30hrs and poor Yoni gets to see me on my death bed crying and all upset about missing home and being emotional cause I"m sick.  All while running across the road to puke since we dont have the luxery of our own toilet.  Nice first impression lol.  I have always said that travelling makes you realize the kindess of strangers, here yoni just meets me and he is bringing me gatorade and trying to make me feel better.  On top of this horrible two days is the heat, nausea and heat are such a bad combo I was dying for AC but just couldnt move to go get another room.  So there I laid with the fan blowing warm air on me.  Well after I wasted almost all my time in PHi Phi being sick I decided it was time to do something and dragged Yoni with me.  Yoni has to be poked and prodded to talk or so I find.  I know he likes me but you would never know it.  We went snorkelling.  Again.  HOw I love it though.  Yoni had never been and I loved being the one to introduce it to him.  I thought It wasnt going to be a good tour but then as soon as I got in the water I was amazed at how many fish were around me right off the bat.  I seriously felt like they were bumping into my mask thats how many there were.  The guy driving the boat told us to go over by where the limestone shoots out of the water and when we did we came along this huge coral wall with soooo many fish and different creatures swimming up the side of it.  One of the most beautiful things I have seen. There were even different kinds of star fish that had what looked like feathers that were vibrant blue and just looked like they were swaying in the water.  and Huge coral that were vibrant green, purple, pink, and blue.  I always feel like I'm in the little mermaid when I go underwater lol.  SO when we finish I aske Yoni what he thinks and he is like Amazing.  BUgger gets a good snorkel right off the bat and I had to do like five shitty ones before i got a good one.  Turns out he is a pro at it too.  I would look over at him and he would dive down so deep he looked like a fish!  I just kept putzing along as usual.  Anyways After our snorkelling we rode home in the sunset from Maya Island which is where they filmed the beach.  It was cool to see it at sunset cause I went there with stacey during the day.  On our way back we met two girls from Australia and decided to go for drinks with them.  We found this little beach bar with pillows on the sand that propped you up and just watched the long tail boats sway on the water as the waves crashed in.  there were also those fire dancers as well and Great regge music playing. THen I found myself on another natural high just sitting there taking in the moment.  Me alone in Thailand surviving my first couple days, now feeling better, sitting on a beautiful white sand beach having some drinks and good conversation with a guy from Finland and Two Aussie girls.  All who I have only recently met. So ready to see what the rest of this trip brings.

Comments

1

you're amazing josie!

  SHANNON Jan 30, 2010 11:59 PM

About parisephone


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.