Existing Member?

first backpacking trip

Memorial Museum in Hiroshima

JAPAN | Wednesday, 11 November 2009 | Views [501] | Comments [1]

Today we are in Hiroshima.  It is where the first A-bomb was dropped in Japan, Aug 6, 1945 at 815am with no warning to the people living there. We walked through the peace park and went the museum.  A person definately leaves that place feeling glum.  Weird that we went on Rememberence day seems appropiate.  The museum basically showed what the A-bomb looked like, the after math to the city and the people, and gave you timelines.  I didnt know this till today but Albert Einstine actually was behind the research for the A-bomb it was he who wrote the letter asking the president to continue doing research on it.  It was really sad and disturbing to see photos of the aftermath and people burned so badly and to know there are still nuclear war fare out there today.  Do we not learn.  It just sucks cause its the people that suffer from it all not the politicians who get us into these situations.  I'm really tired today so Stacey and I are going to try and find an Onsen to soak in, which is pretty much a public bath usually in some kind of hot sping or mineral rich water.  The only thing is you have to get naked!  I dont really want to do it but Stacey does so I have to humour her and it is a really Japanese thing to do.  So I'll just get in asap when no one is looking lol.  OOOOOOOOOOOOh and for my lovely newfoundlanders, I met a guy from there today at our hostel.  It was so funny he was standing there talking and I heard him say bla bla bla something on the go and my ears perked up but I wasnt sure if he was from there for sure cause it sounded like he was trying to sound more irish.  I had to laugh cause he said he was from st. Johns which as we all know people from there barely have an accent so i was laughing to myself bc he was totally trying to make his accent sound different and somewhat irish.  what a loser.  He didn't realize I'm a newfie expert lol.  He seemed pretty pleased though that someone knew where it was lol.  I forgot to mention the Japanese school children.  There were tons of them all in uniform all witch matching coloured hats.  Each colour hat separating each school.  Anyways so groups of these kids would come up to us to practise their english and it was so cute cause they would read off of this little card holder and flip each one with each response we would give and when I tried to talk about something else they looked at me like "stick to the script lady."  Then they would ask us to sign their notebooks and put down the country their from.  Stacey and I said we should have set up an autograph table cause we felt like authors at a book signing.  This one little boy came up to us and when he finished his cards was like now...can i take your picture and as soon as we posed with him he did the typical japanese pose holding the two fingers up.  So we asked to take one with our camera too.  Those kids were so fricken cute.

Comments

1

Oh my Josie..if you got naked in public I am so proud of you! so did ya?

  Sam Nov 13, 2009 2:06 PM

About parisephone


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.