Existing Member?

The Outback The best way to find yourself is to get lost....

Travel Photography Scholarship 2010

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 17 October 2010 | Views [515]

Festivals are commonplace in Bhutan and the Philippines.  It is a symbol of a people’s fervor for religious beliefs, Catholicism and Buddhism in particular. These photographs were taken when I visited Tacloban City in the Philippines, to witness the Pintados Festival for the first time.  Pintados means the painted ones, and it was named after the indigenous people that had intricate tattoos painted on their bodies.  

 

Philippine festivals are usually held in honor of patron saints and some of the most popular festivals are performed in honor of the Sto. Nino*.  The Pintados Festival is one of such festivals.  As in Bhutan, it is characterized by colorful costumes and a lot of street dancing.  The festivities could last up to one month and it is common for popular celebrities to grace the affair.

 

Bhutan and the Philippines have common struggles towards development.  One is the seeming lack of identity or national pride that has allowed the former to exploit child labor while the latter continues to peddle its migrant workers to the world.  Both have likewise failed to value its vast natural resources as the numbers of their endangered species continue to rise. 

 

But hope remains alive for the two, as the blood of positivism continues to run down their veins.  Both have learned to overcome adversity in stride, if not with a smile.  Bhutan is the only country to have quantified happiness, with their Gross National Happiness index, while  countless Filipinos have been immortalized in photos flashing their best smiles in the midst of landslides, flash floods and even volcanic eruptions.

 

Yes, I hope to give my five-cents’ worth of effort in helping Bhutan, one of the Philippines’ kindred spirits, regain its self-identity, as well as keep its indigenous species alive, through the power that is innate in photographs.

 

Tags: leyte, philippines, pintados festival, religious festivals, sto. nino, tacloban city

 

About pangga23


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.