Existing Member?

Magical LaScala

La Scala

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [115] | Scholarship Entry

On a sunny day in Milan, I went in search of La Scala.
On a whim I wondered if I could get into a performance that day.
At the ticket office the agent told me about an option to line up for 13 euro tickets. This was exciting news!
I hurried back to the theater and found a little man with a clipboard, who wrote my passport number down and said I was number 70.
I had to return at 5:00 to line up for a voucher. Once I had this voucher, I needed to line up again at 5:30 to get my official ticket from the box office. This was truly an Italian experience.
When I got back at 5:00 there was a huge crowd gathered and a man with a flat cap shouting out numbers in Italian and English. When my number was called I pressed forward and got my voucher.
The final line up seemed more organized and we were shepherded into the box office for our official ticket.
I was filled with anticipation and the first one in line come show time. An American behind me said that this production of Lucia Di Lammermoor had just been presented at the Met in New York City.
I have to admit I was stunned that this was actually happening. I was standing outside the door of La Scala with a ticket to a world-class opera for 13 euros. When I left the hotel at 2:00 I had no idea this would be a part of my day!
Once inside, surrounded by the beauty, I was beside myself with excitement. The scene was opulent. This theater has stood here for centuries, and witnessed such great music.
I looked across at the boxes opposite me and imagined the elegant ladies in their finery with their opera glasses looking out at the other theater goers in times gone by.
The production was everything I imagined. It was a privilege to witness this epic opera in such a magical way.
As the voices rose and fell, it felt like my Dad was there with me. The fact that he was my inspiration for visiting Milan, and that I was experiencing this phenomenal music at such a beautiful theatre was overwhelming. As the opera ended and the 'Bravas' were ringing in my ears, I left the exquisite La Scala, certain I would never forget its magic.
Standing in the station, I watched the couples arrive. There were women dressed in furs and men in evening dress. Everyone seemed to be going home on the metro.
I walked back to my hotel with the music vibrating through my being and marveled at what had just happened.
The next morning I got up and headed for the station on my way to Verona.
But that my friends, is another story.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About pamsbeautifullife


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.