Existing Member?

Get a lot from travel a lot

Adventure to Kangean Island

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [3011] | Scholarship Entry

Begins with reading the tweet from one of traveler on the twitter who review the best ten snorkeling spot in Indonesia, I know Kangean island is the third best snorkeling spot in Indonesia (from his point of view). only lost from the island of Wakatobi in Sulawesi and Raja ampat in West Papua which is well known in the worldwide.

Kangean Islands is located in the waters of the sea which is the boundary between Java and Bali Sea, located in the east of Madura island and in the north of the Bali island, even those too close to the island of Borneo to the north and the island of Sulawesi to the east. Administratively Kangean island became one of the region of district Sumenep in Madura island, East Java.

Although still within the Java, it took almost 30 hours to reach Kangean Island. 14 hours trip by train to Surabaya, continued with 6 hours bus trip to Sumenep and then take the Ferry for 8 hours to reach Kangean Island. its such a long, adventurous and memorable trip i ever had.

There's one moment i never forget when i was in the ferry that night. I took place in the upstairs of the ferry without a roof and sit next to my lovely girl. We seen a clearly sky with the star and a moonlight make those night became my most romantic night ever. Although we only eat a cup of instant noodle, those moment is more more more romantic than candle light dinner.

In Kangean islands, we stay in a local people house in Paliat island, one of the island in Kangean Islands because there's no hotel in Kangean island. when we stay in Paliat island its like we were back to nature, dirt road without asphalt, huge tree in a long the road, no electricity and we take a bath directly from the water source with the dipper. And also the local people was so nice.

we were assisted by the local guy named sanawi as our tour guide and our main activity when we were there is snorkeling and island hoping with the rental boat from island to another island. Kangean island is gorgeous with the crystal clear water, white sandy beach and beautiful colorful corals. i think this is a truly hidden paradise where's doesn't much traveler know this place.

When we went go back, there's one big problem that i missed the ferry scheduled. its only one ferry in a day from Kangean port to Kalianget port in Sumenep, Madura. How lucky we are there's one boat which is carrying a fuel give us a ride to accros and back to Sumenep with 14 hours trip. I never forget this adventurous trip to Kangean.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About pampam


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.