Existing Member?

The Evolution of Travel 6 months of self discovery and evolution as I travel through parts of Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

The evolution of travel plans

CANADA | Thursday, 10 July 2008 | Views [855]

Planning for a trip is always an exciting endevour.  The intended traveller read books and guidebooks, surf the web, read blogs, make notes, comparisons etc.  But as time progresses, the trip always evolves, more than once.

For years (since discovering Boots N All), I have planned my dream RTW (round the world) Trip; usually when I’ve been under a lot of stress.  At first, my eyes were bigger than my stomach.  I was hungry for travel, and I wanted to go EVERYWHERE, all in the same trip.  But things would improve at work or in life in general, I’d forget my plans, and move on until my next mental slump when I would start planning yet another RTW Trip.

When I decided that enough was enough and decided to resign from my job at the end of June, my first thought was travel.  I opened my laptop, and started researching and surfing the web.  I had won a $1,000 travel voucher at work, which was enough to buy a return 6 month ticket to London, England and back for about the price of my voucher! Score!

The original plan started with a 6 week roadtrip through Ireland (which is the one solid piece).  However as previously posted I would also go to Greece, Turkey and India.  Naturally, as I research, I become more hungry as I relaize that certain countries are cheaper and more appealing to me than others.  Currently I’m still planning on Ireland and Turkey, but Greece has gone by the way side, and India depends on the volitity of the areas I was planning to visit.  Presently the new plan is Ireland, Morocco, Italy, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon (if it’s safe at the time), Egypt and then either Thailand and Cambodia OR India and Nepal.

I love the planning stages of a trip.  I no longer need to see everything all at once.  I’ve gone from visiting a city for 2 days, to visiting for a week.  Money is also a big factor, the cheapest countries, cheap airfare, sights with free admission.  Although it’s July and my trip isn’t until October, I know my plans will most likely change again, more than once.  But, a 6 month RTW Trip is the goal and no matter how much my plans evolve it will still be a trip of a lifetime.

Tags: asia, europe, evolution, middle east, planning, research, travel

About pamela_mac


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.