Existing Member?

Travelling Weaver

High Coast

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 10 August 2008 | Views [400]

2 July 2008

High Coast

After leaving Skuleberget, we headed off on a scenic drive around the High Coast.  The lakes, with their clear green water were calm and mirrored the pine forests that grew right down to the edge.  The blueberries were beginning to form and although quite small were still quite tasty!!  This section of Sweden is quite mountainous with its full quota of lakes and rivers.  Very beautiful!!  There are trekking trails also, but I didn't have time to explore!

We stopped to photograph Sweden’s answer to San Francisco – the Höga Kust Suspension Bridge, opened in 1997, total cost was over 2 billion kronor.  It stretches 1.8km across the water.  It’s quite amazing and certainly gives you a feeling of driving a long way with only water below! 

 We drove into Sundsvall – another city having some festival – which meant the city centre was jam-packed with people and no way of driving through – so apart from one sighting of a wildly painted dragon, we bought some food and drove to the top of Södraberget to the top of the ski slopes and munched away whilst watching the sun thinking of setting. The waterways were very calm and many boats zipped around, leaving perfect v-shaped wakes.  I climbed up to the chute and pretended there was snow everywhere and prepared to launch off!  Thankfully, there was no snow, so I climbed back down the steps. 

There were three young lads making use of the ski-lift to bring them up the mountain on their fancy Scott mountain bikes.  They then bumped off down the slope, later to emerge over the crest on the ski lift!  Well, that’s one way to get up a mountain!

We then headed south for our accommodation for the night at Gnarp. 

 

About ozweaver


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.