Existing Member?

Travelling Weaver

Umea day 2

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 8 August 2008 | Views [433]

2 July 2008

After a tasty and filling breakfast, we drove to the township of Norrbyn to catch the ferry across to Norrbyskär – a group of islands, now a tourist spot, with a history of having the largest steam-powered timber mill during 1895 -1952. For a comprehensive report on this, Google: Norrbyskär and all you need to know will be revealed – good old Wikipedia!!

We strolled around the island. Stefan got the gossip from a couple of chimney sweeps having morning tea, while Lina and I were being entertained by a small group of sheep amongst a field of yellow and blue flowers.  How Swedish was that!!  We visited the museum which gave a great display of the history of the timber mill and its dictator – and finished off the morning with a tasty feed of pancakes!!  Courtesy of Stefan & Lina, I received a Spillkråka (Black Woodpecker) felted by a local craft worker.  What a great reminder of my visit to these friendly people and my trip to Murningsgrundet!!  The crafts/souvenirs in the museum shop were mostly made by local crafts people and were a very high standard.  A great example of support for local artists. 

It was then back to the mainland via the ferry and grab the backpack and head off down the highway to meet up with Agnete and AnnBritt in Örnsköldsvik.  

About ozweaver


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.