Existing Member?

Galah-travels We live in Central Australia and are travelling around India and Nepal. Please only post general comments - do not include names or contact details of other people.

Amber Fort

INDIA | Saturday, 4 August 2007 | Views [1837]

Main palace in Amber Fort

Main palace in Amber Fort

Another day, another fort and palace. This is 10km out of Jaipur on the road to Delhi. We got the bus from in the middle the old town in Jaipur (the main intersection near the Hawa Mahal). The bus is only 7IRs each and it was a modern bus with individual seats, handrails... In fact, it was a very similar model to the international to domestic transfer bus at Sydnet Airport. We were shocked, this was the first time we had been in a mordern bus in India.

What to say about the fort and palace? It was good, but I think we are all touristed-out now. There are lots of Indians visiting here and the usual mob of touts selling postcards, miniature paintings, elephant rides etc etc. A lot of the interiors of rooms has deteriorated, so there is no detailed painting left here. There is lots of restoration work happening, so the stonework and marble is in good condition in the restored sections.

Tags: Sightseeing

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.