Existing Member?

Galah-travels We live in Central Australia and are travelling around India and Nepal. Please only post general comments - do not include names or contact details of other people.

Swayambhunath Temple

NEPAL | Saturday, 7 July 2007 | Views [1770]

Friends for an afternoon at Swayambhunath Temple

Friends for an afternoon at Swayambhunath Temple

We thought we had better do some sightseeing today. This temple is only a couple of kms to the west of the Thamel area in Kathmandu, so it was an easy walk. Not long after we arrived a group of 7 kids latched onto us. We thought they would be after the usual pens or money, but they actually showed us around the temple - dragging us over to look at the view, see the monkeys in the trees etc etc. We did get asked to look through their "sister's/aunty's" shop, which was full of Hindu religous stuff, so we avoided any purchases. They helped with Nepali words for things we saw (now I know how to say "four ducks"!) and we helped them with their English, which was already pretty good. At the end we bought them all a 10NRs ice-cream each - a good investment for a 1 hour language lesson and guide.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.