Existing Member?

Galah-travels We live in Central Australia and are travelling around India and Nepal. Please only post general comments - do not include names or contact details of other people.

Pokhara #1

NEPAL | Sunday, 13 May 2007 | Views [891]

Someone has picked all the litter from these trees - normally they are full of it.

Someone has picked all the litter from these trees - normally they are full of it.

Pokhara is such a clean place (the whole of Nepal is clean compared to India). We went to visit the International Nepal Fellowship (INF) office in Bagar, Pokhara. On Saturday wnt to the Ram Ghat Church - a few hundred people (maybe more people than at Alice Springs Baptist). Most people were sitting on the floor and pretty jammed in. The usual arrangement of men sitting on one side and women on the other. The music and singing was really good.

We found a German Bakery at Damside while walking around that afternoon - so now we have got into the cold coffee and Danish pastry scene! That evening we went to an Itaian restaurant with Peggy, an INF friend. So much for Dhaal Bhaat!

On Sunday morning we got up early and found our way up the hill to the Peace Gompa (Pagoda, Temple...). There are great views from here across Fhewa Tal to the Annapurna Range. This place also has the world-famous "Litter Trees".

In the afternoon we hired bicycles and went to Devi Falls. A young boy latched onto us and gave us the guided tour - he was from a local school that "managed" the falls in some way and wanted to practice English. I got to learn some Nepali in return. Of course at the end he wanted a "donation" for being a guide, but he was actually very informative and helpful. We were taken across the road to some caves below the falls and then to a Tibetan refugee camp, which had plenty of handcrafts for sale including nice hand-woven carpets (much too heavy for backpacks).

Tags: Mountains

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.