Existing Member?

Our World

Small world

TURKEY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [176] | Scholarship Entry

Turquoise see, high green mountains and kind smiling people. That all I see here, in Turkey. Colorful country impressed me with its originality and diversity.

I have seen many places in Turkey, but all new places I discover impress me more and more, day by day. The first time I saw so many gorgeous views in one place. All regions of this country differ from each other and carrier its own culture, customs and beauty. However, all regions have one common, but very important thing – beautiful, friendly and good people. They are very helpful. Turkish people do not care about yours social status, about your money, if someone in need, they will help unselfishly, and even buy you a cup of çay (tea) with kurabiye (cookies). I am being a teenager from Eastern Europe was stunned of pure kindness and sincere smile.
As a nineteen years old man I love food .And it is so delicious here! Kebabs, spicy soups and sour ayran (a cold yogurt beverage mixed with salt). Meat is highly used product here; therefore, it was a little bit difficult for my vegetarian friends. Desserts is another topic. Every one of you may know famous Turkish delights. They are everywhere here. All shops and markets are full of colorful sweet squares. A wide range of colors and flavors. Big or small, red or yellow, it all depends or your wants. They have another thing they should be proud. It is the baklava! Thin slices of soft dough soaked in honey syrup and sprinkled with pistachios. Amazing taste. While eating baklava I imagined old Osman Empire with sultans, harems, palaces and old, but gorgeous Istanbul. I closed my eyes for a while, but it was enough to take a smell of history, of magnificent history.
Turkey is a country where you can find yourself. The place where many cultures came to one point and opened new astonishing world. I have found myself in Izmir. The beautiful city in southern part of Turkey. Nevertheless, the greatest place in Izmir is Ephesus! It was an ancient Greek city on the coast of Ionia (an ancient region of central coastal Anatolia). Abandoned city seems frozen in the time awaiting for its inhabitants. Even after a few steps from tourists’ entrance, I could see real Greek Empire without any masks. I could see trails passing through the time. After visiting Ephesus, I felt myself proud of being a little part of our world, of being humane.
Turkey is not just a country. Turkey is a small world! The friendly world for everyone who smiles, lives and loves.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ourbigsmallworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.