Existing Member?

loma kreikässä

Day 2

GREECE | Sunday, 5 June 2011 | Views [145]

What do first time visitors to Athens always do...?

So, realising that time in the morning was pinched, to say the least, we checked out of the hotel, took a taxi to the Acropolis, and then went up to check it out.

A pile of crap.

I didn't actually go up it at all - I stayed at the bottom with the suitcases, because really, I'm not that interested in the Acropolis but my girlfriend is an Architect, so of course she had a look. It's amazing that it's lasted so long as it has, and it was all built by slaves. Brilliant.

Uneventful afternoon - we took the train to Piraeas harbour, got tickets, sat in a cafe until 5 minutes before the boat left, couldn't find the boat (eeek), asked some guy, and found it at the last minute. I think we had two minutes before the boat left - not something I'm at all comfortable with, but they didn't leave without us so it's all OK.

GF tells me that whenever some ancient Greek hero left Athens on a quest they always left Piraeas. I feel it should have been more of a moment, but it wasn't particularly, it was just a passenger ferry trip. Oh well.

So, we arrived on this really quite, peaceful island in the med. It's great for people doing sport of chill-out holidays because there is (like) one nightclub, and it's really only for locals - a quiet, peaceful island =)

We got to the hotel and unpacked, before heading to the local supermarket to get tomorrow's lunch. As we arrived back at the hotel, the thumping from the beach started.

"Tossers"

A massive band of fuckwits arrived in the harbour and started a very very loud rave-party.

I've nothing against clubbing and dance music and culture - I was in it myself when I was younger - but these people kept basically everyone on Poros awake until 7am the next morning with the music, for no good reason. The next day we learned that they had chartered a fleet of something like 14 catamarans to carry them round Greece partying in random places. There were 430 of them. The police turned up several times in the night and administered fines - you could tell when because the music would stop for about 30 minutes before carrying on again.

They were medical students. From France. The sad thing is that nobody was surprised when we learned this the next day. I hate doctors.

About oulupulu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.