Existing Member?

Same Same, but Different A short blog of our adventurous trekkings across Viet Nam

Parting is such sweet sorrow

VIETNAM | Thursday, 22 July 2010 | Views [77]

Ah, I have just finished reading Myrna, Howard, Dan, Danny and Heidi's final blog posts.  It is wonderful to hear how everyone is processing such an intense, special, amazing trip.  I echo in my own heart so much of what each of them said.  So "ditto" to those posts!

For myself, I bounce from feeling overwhelmed by the amount of experiences and feelings I had to being able to really zero in on specific moments and just revel in those memories.  I am still so overwhelmingly grateful that Ben and I were able to go on the trip in the first place, for a long time that just didn't seem like it was going to be possible.  Our hearts were willing but there seemed to be many other things in the way.  That God can and will find a way is something I am still learning to trust in.  So I am grateful and humbled by merely being present for all of the things we were able to participate in.

The events that stick out in my memory are the rice delivery day and all that entailed, from getting up early and worrying about breakfast, to being delayed waiting for supplies (and Dan riding the Ox cart), to seeing the people who had been waiting and just having this most amazing experience of non-verbal communication with them and hoping and praying that God was showing them in some way the love that was on my heart.  The little boy I held at the Orphanage with the genetic disease that caused his head to swell (fluid on the brain) just broke my heart.  I just wanted him to feel special and loved and part of all that was going on while we were there.  I kept praying God would put in his heart that he was LOVED and MEANT TO BE and I also kept thinking God must have a special place for him in the Kingdom as he is likely to be called there sooner than later.  I also really loved just sitting and talking with Myrna and Heidi while we were having lunch (just the ladies) on the day all the men were doing Mrs. An's construction project.  Hearing where Heidi's heart is and being able to listen and then share what I believe God was speaking through me was wonderful.

There are so many more experiences I could name.  I suppose just the overall feeling of knowing that it was not ME doing anything, but must be God and that all the things that worked out or encounters we were a part of were part of a great plan that I do not know the true scope of was so very, very powerful.  I also enjoyed immensely sharing all of this with the rest of the team, you are each wonderful and I love you all!!!  As well as our Vietnamese friends (all new friends for me!)  

As we continue our journey back here in Portland I think it would do me a lot of good to continue to reflect on these realizations, especially those that remind me God is big enough, capable enough and loves each of us (even me) enough to order and take care of us all.

Thanks to everyone who prayed, helped, supported, read, listened, loved, etc. this trip or anyone on it and anyone in Vietnam.  You are wonderful!

Anicka

About ouboomertx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.