Existing Member?

Same Same, but Different A short blog of our adventurous trekkings across Viet Nam

No tickie, No laundry!

USA | Tuesday, 6 July 2010 | Views [120]

Crowd there to recieve us...

Crowd there to recieve us...

Wow, the flight from DFW to LAX was awsome! While we were waiting, the ticket agents announced they needed someone to take the exit rows. Howard let me know this, so I went up to the desk. They said they already had it taken care of. I asked if they had a seat with a tad more leg room, and she said "let me see what I can do". The next thing I knew I was riding to LAX first class, and it was like a regular house party up there. thank you Lord. Ps 5-12 says: For it is thou oh Lord who does bless the righteous man, and surrounds him with FAVOR as with a shield. Thank you for that favor, Lord!

It was like a block party up there, flowing with milk and honey. What a sweet ride! Then came the ride from LAX to Hong Kong...different story. We were ushered into this huge sardine can, where we were stuffed, plucked, and rolled into our seats. After about an hour I asked to be moved. The plane was dark so all I knew was I now had a seat beside smaller people, so it was a lot more comfortable. When I looked around on my next pit stop, there was all the rest of the team behind me! Very nice. I'm not saying God's favor was not on us here, but it just shoook out a little different. What a trip. We all survived it, then customs, then the cab ride to the hotel (more on that later).

I noticed a big difference in flight attendants from one airplane  to the next. The AA flights attendants on the flight from DFW to LAX were nice, and very cordial. The ones on the long flight from LAX to Hong Kong were nice, very polished, and professional. The Chinese flight attendants based out of Hong Kong for the flight from there to Saigon were amazing. I would say nearly elegant. Uniforms perfect, soft spoken yet professional, perfect hair, not too much make up. They had a way about them that was understated and definately attractive. 

Our first day in Saigon was great. There was a huge crown waiting outside the airport arrival gate. You would think a rock star or a president was set to arrive. I discovered it was a routine day at the airport. Beautiful water and mountains, right next to each other. We went out and explored just a little, then all gathered later for dinner at a place that looked like a malt shop. The question of the night was "is it safe to use their ice? I felt a little like Melvin in the movie As Good As It Gets. Distinctive smells, sights, and endless street vnders. I even saw a street vender that had to be no more than 5 years old.

The cab ride to the hotel was interesting. The traffic had cars, trucks, pedestrians, and motorbikes everywhere. The motorbikes would dart out in front of, very close beside, or even go the wrong way right into oncoming traffic. To all o fus it looked unsafe and chaotic, mostly becasue it was unsafe and chaotic...Still..It all flows amazingly well.

Gotta sign off now. It's up at 5 for the food distribution in Phan Thiet! Yahoo!

Later,

Daniel Taylor aka Stretch

About ouboomertx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.