Existing Member?

WorldNomads Scholarship "There's Story Behind Every Picture, but Not Every Picture Can Tell Their Stories"

Mount Bromo & It's Tenggerian People

INDONESIA | Thursday, 27 June 2013 | Views [456]

Mount Bromo (Indonesian: Gunung Bromo), is an active volcano and part of the Tengger massif, in East Java, Indonesia. At 2,329 metres (7,641 ft) it is not the highest peak of the massif, but is the most well known. The massif area is one of the most visited tourist attractions in East Java, Indonesia. The volcano belongs to the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park. The name of Bromo derived from Javanese pronunciation of Brahma, the Hindu creator god.

In past years i made a few trips to Mount Bromo and really fall in love, not only to it's beautiful natural scenery, but also to the people who live there and their cultural & activities.

People who lived around Mount Bromo & Tengger Massif normally called "Tengger" People (Indonesian : Orang Tengger). Different from most of people in  Java Island who normally are moslem,  most of tenggerian are budhist obedient. They believe are the direct descendants of the Majapahit. Tengger name comes from the legend of Roro and Joko Seger Anteng is believed to be the origin of the name Tengger, namely "Teng" An-name suffix Roro "teng" and "ger" suffix name of Ricardo Se-"ger"

Nowaday most of Tenggerian people are depend their live on tourism activity around bromo, by renting horse to visitor, becoming tourist guide, renting room and else. Besides work in tourism, most of tenggerian people are farmers. You can found their farm & plantation all around Tengger Massif.

Tags: bromo mountain tengger people

 

About otonieru


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.