Existing Member?

Back Packing

The Highs and Lows of Travelling

VIETNAM | Thursday, 10 July 2008 | Views [974] | Comments [16]

It has been a long old month since my last blog...the honeymoon period of travelling has lapsed and the stresses of travelling have begun...as glorious as it sounds travelling the world, nothing in life is ever as easy as one may think & the grass always appears greener no matter who you are.


We finally managed to do the river cruise down to Yangshuo, which was breath taking even though the heavy flooding made it more like a rafting trip than a cruise. The heavy rains had churned up the river bed making the river murky and a light brown colour.

 

Please skip the next chapter if you want to retain the happy thoughts of travelling.

 

In Yangshou I finally bit the bullet and graciously ended the so called "relationship" with my travel companion. Not one to slate people yet certainly realistic enough to acknowledge the truth...we were utterly not suited. I believe in the forgive and forget approach and even remaining friends as that is how we departed and had been for the last few weeks. I do however find it difficult to conquer the moral high ground when the dumped party go out of their way to harass me and veil the truth from family and friends in order to draw desperately needed attention to themselves from their unsuspecting victims. And indeed who isn't going to believe a lonely helpless girl who has been dumped in the middle of nowhere by her selfish boyfriend? The truth always prevails and although there are always two sides to every story I think the facts speak volumes. To invite someone to travel the world with you is a big step and even to invite a near enough stranger to your family's homes over Christmas is a great step in itself. Not to mention buying them bags of travel equipment, paying for their vaccinations, giving them your oyster card & inviting them to live in your home rent free all so they can save for the trip. The repayment was probably not foreseen on my behalf; waiting months before telling people we were in a relationship, still in contact with her former boyfriends & numerous lovers, all of which were blinded to her newly trapped love. If continuous lies were not enough acting like a teenager & slouching around the world not lifting a finger, acting unexplainably selfish & completely forgetting her partners birthday sure were. Yet what did I expect from a reformed druggy who had spent every week for the past 8 years taking class A drugs? Hijacking my face book so they could look at my pictures, then get utterly jealous and commenting on my new found female travel friends is pretty childish. Especially when the said party is sleeping their way through SE Asia. I could continue for many hours yet I think enough has been said so no more questions please...

 

In Yangshuo I managed to ride a bike through some of the most breath taking scenery & unspoilt villages as well as climb through one of the many water caves. A highly unprofessional encounter yet great fun. From here I went on to Kunming in Yunnan province undoubtedly the highlight of China (Yunnan not Kunming). One night in Kunming was enough before going to Dali, a gorgeous historic walled town by a massive lake & engulfed by 4000m plus peaks. As of most of SW China the streets were scattered with fresh flowers & scrumptious street food. For peace and quiet I ventured up into the mountains & stayed at the Highland Guest House (2600m), a beautiful isolated tiny place in the mountains. Due to no villages or inhabitants in the mountains it felt much more isolated than my time in the Himalayas. The only inhabitants was the guesthouse owner, two girls who worked there & temporarily an American guy, Chester, who was working there for a while. Oh & not to mention the two crazy dogs and cat who loved to fight. It was so relaxing and even walking the following day I got off the main path, Cloud Pass, and didn't see a sole all day just the sound of the waterfalls.

 

I returned to Dali to hear two lots of bad news, the death of a good friend and fellow Intelligence Corps soldier and also the failure of my dissertation. The first news was such a shock and I managed to pay tribute to Sarah in a local temple. As for the other news, it was opptimistic to attempt such a large dissertation during the difficult times I experienced at the start of the year with so much going on. I ignored my tuitor's advice and slaved on. It just means I will need to resubmit on my return, if I do return of course.

 

From the minute I became a lone trevller I met the nicest people in a place not really abundant with tourists. But every day there always seemed to be someone new to brighten up my trip with some little adventure. Infact in the last month I have never been so unalone as before. Travelling is so easy nowadays and it really is much more fun travelling by yourself. Anyone dreaming of venturing out in to the big bad world should definately do it alone.

 

I travelled to Vietnam by sleeper bus from Kunming to Hekou where I crossed the border in to Vietnam. That bus was an experience and a half, the smells and noises alone made it. Across the border my first stop was the mountain town of Sapa, where the locals could never stop smiling. Admittedly they follow you every step on the viallge tours across the countryside but you can't help but buy things off them. They are ever so persistent yet so adorably cute, the girls that is.

 

One night in the mountains was enough before Hanoi. Hanoi is actually a suprise, a sleepy large town if there ever was one. The two night boat trip to Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island was enjoyable as it could have been since the place is packed with tourists. The bay was spetatcular with 1000's of amazing peaks jutting out of the still clear blue water. The night aboard the boat was actually the first time on the whole trip that I came close to utterly intoxicated...ok I was. It was a great laugh and fortunate that we were all stuck with 10 single youngsters. The Island wasn't as fun but I ended up celebrating Rachel's birthday (one of two Norweigan girls I had met in Hanoi) with a bunch of guys. On return to Hanoi I headed straight to Hue, an ancient walled town with loads of character. I visited the DMZ (site of the famous Vietnam war where the borders of north and south met) with a group of 3 lovely copuples. The DMZ was slightly disappointing yet it was great to see the place especially the tunnels.

 

The following day the Norweigan girls headed down and the late nights started and continued for the next 10 days. We headed to the colonial town of Hoi An, famous for its numerous dress makers who are renowned for tailoring any item of clothing you desire. I did manage to refrain myself. I think the fact I was 85kgs at the start of the year and then only 70kgs while in Hanoi helped. No doubt this was thanks to the culinary delights of India. It would have been foolish to follow suit (no pun intended) and spend 100's on tailored suits. Hoi An is a beautiful place and a complete suprise for Vietnam, a must on anyones trip here. The restaurants were amazing and the town was so tranquil you could have been in a village in the south of France. Nha Trang, the following destination was not so tranquil. I ended up spending 6 tedious nights here waiting firstly for my visa renewel (I had overrun in both Nepal and China) secondly for my police report as I was mugged by 6 transvestites on my first night here. I met a great couple of Aussie guys on the bus here and along with the Norweigan girls we had a good little team together. The first day was spent on the seemingly nice beach in the blazing sun, jet skiing and relaxing. We met 4 more Norweigan girls and all ventured out for fun and frollocks to the Sailing Club, which by midnight is not as classy as it sounds. It is a nice place and one night here would have left us with good memories of a crazy time. It's perched across the sand and up to the ocean, which we later ended up in. I stupidly ventured away from our drinking group on the way home and was jumped by 6 transvestites othering me favours of a vile nature. It was only on their swift departure I realise they had robbed me of my camera. The following day I reported the incident to the police, for what ever that was worth. I decided to treat myself to a new camera but upon opening my travel wallet, which was secured in the safe I found $20 missing. This led to a full out argument with the receptionist. As the situation heightened my language dropped to that of an infanteer in the heat of battle, forcing the terrofied 4 foot nothing young girl in to a dribbling pool of tears. Angered I ventured to an electronics shop where I found a great waterproof camera. Slightly cheered up I handed over my credit card and later bank card only to watch the ill trained staff swipe my cards 8 times. They clearly aren't use to technology and hadn't fed the receipt paper through. By this point I was near erupting on a scale not too disimilar from Mount Vesuvius. I phoned my bank on my mobile to find out I had been charged over $2500 for a single camera. So at this point I had lost one camera, been robbed $20 from the hotel safe, been charged $2500 for a $430 camera and now faced an extoitionate bill for my mobile. Eventually when all seems lost you just have to laugh. If Jimmy and Rach hadn't been there I would be doing life time in a seedy Vietnamese jail.

 

I spent the next few nights (along with the growing group of 15) drowning my sorrows and it wasn't until we got the gondalla over to Vin Pearl where we found a theme and water park that I started to cheer up. What a park though. This place had the best water rides I had been on. It seemed a pretty new place hence why it wasn't in Lonely Planet (the Bible) and why it was so dead. After 6 nights in Nha Trang I was grateful to reach the laid back surfing (board, wind and kite) town of Mui Ne. This is much more mellow and I really wished I had arrived here instead of Nha Trang and learnt to kite board.

 

Onward and upward...surely now my SE Asia experience can only get better.

Comments

1

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but very glad to hear your trip is getting better each day. So loving reading your blogs...keep them coming!!

  Tracey Jul 10, 2008 3:46 PM

2

Hi Paul!
I went into your blog with great excitement. The family had been looking forward to meeting you for so long, and had been tracking your travels. We realised you and our daughter had parted company as a couple, and while disappointed to hear that news, still welcomed you into our home as her friend. To read what you had to say about her broke our hearts and shattered us. Congratulations, you achieved your gaol. You must feel very happy knowing you took part in the destruction of an elderly couple. I expect your parents would be elated about that and be very proud of you.

  Pat Jul 10, 2008 6:10 PM

3

Like you said, onward and upward! Chin up chic Xxx

  Deb Jul 10, 2008 6:22 PM

4

Sorry to disappoint you but both my parents are very proud of me. All I did was state the truth in this blog, this is my diary where I express my feelings & the FACTS & it's people's choice whether to read it or not. Your daughter broke my heart with her constantly lying & selfish attitude towards life not to mention me. I gave her everything on a plate & she knows it. She wouldn't accept no for an answer & constantly pestered me stating falsehoods to her friends & travellers she met about me in order to make me jealous & get a reaction, so here's the reaction - a reply with the truth & not everything I may add. Sorry for upsetting you both in the process but maybe you need to talk to your daughter & actually know what she is like.

Best wishes x

  osiris Jul 10, 2008 7:14 PM

5

Hey Paul,

Travelling is defiantly the most character building thing you can do in your life. Getting to the point where you’re over the initial excitement and getting sick of the little things you have to do travelling (haggling over pennies, unsanitary conditions and nightmare transport are just a few that I remember!!)really sucks but i promise it does not last long. Hitting a few rough patches along the way is natural and to be expected as you globe trot. Just because you’re having exciting adventures and visiting beautiful places doesn’t mean that every day will be exciting and memorable but also just remember that, for all it’s ups and downs you probably would not swap a second of it.

Just remember that friends are still only on the end of a phone or an e-mail. Chin up it will be great again before you know it.

Love
Jen x

  Jen Jul 10, 2008 11:37 PM

6

Paul,

Thanks for sending me the link to your blog! It is great getting to hear all of the cool things you are doing. I hope things start going better for you... And don't forget to call us up when you get to Washington D.C.! I'm still in Florida right now...I'm actually on my way out to door to go to work. I got some stick time in the helicopter yesterday, it was AMAZING. We have another flight today too, so I should get to fly again. I will talk to you soon!

Best wishes,
Brittany

  Brittany Jul 11, 2008 12:31 AM

7

Sounds like your having a blast, I am totally jealous! Kepp me updated and hopefully see you in Sydney for xmas and new year!
Take care, look after number and drink lots!! xx

  Nicki Jul 11, 2008 1:14 AM

8

Keep smiling Paul. Remember, you're on the journey of a life time so as you say onwards and upwards!
xxx

  Kerenza Jul 11, 2008 5:24 AM

9

I m sorry for what happenned to you and your couple. Think that now it could only be better. We are in South American andhave fun.Perhas we will meet there. Take careof you.

  Wilfrid and Aude, french record from abc Nepal Jul 11, 2008 8:47 AM

10

Hey guys thanks for all your comments, emails & support...it's all greatly appreciated.

P x

  osiris Jul 11, 2008 8:43 PM

11

We lost another good'un when we lost Sarah mate. Mads carried her to the Church...she has a really nice spot in the Lakes so we shall have to go up and see it sometime....if you decide to return. LTD.

"Respect and Honour"

  A friend Jul 13, 2008 3:32 AM

12

As they say, rough life experiences "put hair on your chest"... you're gonna be a furry bastard by the end! Hang in there. Kudos for writing openly - some of the best writers receive harsh criticism for their perspectives, so keep it flowing.

  Kirian Jul 16, 2008 4:36 AM

13

Hi Paul

We really enjoy reading about your trip and were sorry to hear what you have been through with your travelling companion. You are a great guy, kind, generous and honest - keep smiling and have a great time. Hope we are going to see you when you get to Australia. Take Care, Lots of Love Jan, Garry, Buttons & Toby (woof woof!!) xx

  Jan & Garry Conway Jul 16, 2008 3:19 PM

14

Hey you, stay positive and strong and enjoy the experience!! Life is one big test and a road well travelled so travel it well... enjoy your journey, your road trip; your once in a lifetime opportunity and keep looking forward, not back babe! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mwa

Bambina x x

  Lorna Jul 19, 2008 1:09 AM

15

Hey Paul,
SE Asia is nuts. I'm so sorry that you were attacked by trannies...and lost so much money. Things will get better. There's no other option, right? Let me know if you come through Atlanta. I'd be glad to take you around. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Ciaociao,
Lydia

  Lydia Jul 22, 2008 5:31 AM

16

Hello Paul,
I was a fellow lone traveller years back AND had the experience of being left by my 'companion/relationship' in the beautiful Maldive Islands! I recall the test so well.

I look back now and it all has a funny reason or thread to the whole fabric.
Please be in touch when you come to the sunny Gold Coast Australia, I have a studio/shed where you could lay your head and back pack down in peace, shared with five girls... the chickens who share the back garden!

Cheers and 'Carpe Dieum' - Seize the day.
Tricia

  AARaphael Aug 19, 2008 5:15 PM

About osiris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.