Existing Member?

Back Packing

First stop - India

INDIA | Sunday, 27 April 2008 | Views [649] | Comments [2]

We landed in splendid Mumbai, the city where dreams are made (dreams of rats, poverty beyond explanation & sights & smells of human excrement, all of which are impossible to escape apart from meal times where you can sneak off to a semi-decent restaurant). For the first stop on a round the world (RTW) tour it was a little shock. Three days here was more than enough as there is really nothing to see. The famous Chapatee Beach is ok for a stroll but only if you don't mind the oncoming wind bringing the stench of the city's 14 million inhabitants waste straight down your throat.

Goa was a welcome relief. We spent 2 nights in Candolim before venturing to Palolem where one of the Bourne scenes was filmed. It is such an easy pace of life (a vast contrast to the rest of India) & a great place to relax. It was so hard leaving that we actually stayed 13 nights...ok well Trudy was ill with Delhi belly so our tickets to Hampi couldn't be used & our plans for the Backwaters were drowned by the packed trains of the Indian summer holidays. Apparently 2 weeks notice is required to book trains to the Backwaters at this time. Just short of 2 weeks was spent on the beach swimming, watching dolphins & relaxing. We met some lovely people, a nanny Becca (who is from Barnet, minutes from North Finchley) who was looking after 2 adorable blonde children from Brighton who now live in Goa; Tai who is 3 & Xavier who is 7. We spent many a day body boarding with them & playing in the sun. Nat & Mike, our neighbours in both San Fransisco & the Pacific are from Cornwall & a lovely couple. We hit it off straight away & stalked them for a good few days on the beach & for meals. We even fed our adopted stray dogs together; Hunter, Scooby, Georgina, Cyclops & another girl who looked just like George.

The 28 hour train ride from Magao to Jaipur was delayed slightly & was more like 38 hours meaning my birthday was entirely on the train. No great deal & infact it's refreshing to see that no one really complains about the delay. It makes you feel like a demanding school child for complaining at the extra 5 minutes on the underground. Trudy is worst for wear now but the Dr has been so hopefully by tomorrow she will be on medication. Our travels are suspended at the minute until she is fit & well. All is not bad as we are staying in a lovely guest house in Jaipur, it's minutes from a busy high street but it doesn't seem like it in the large peaceful garden with the family's array of plants, flowers & wildlife, oh & a tiny chitsu dog. The father is a former Colonel in the Indian Army, we have already exchange war stories. I think he is in the lead with tails of Centurion tanks blasting away at the Pakistani Army in the 15 day war.

Comments

1

Hi son sounds like you are having a great time, just enjoy your adventure and I will follow where you are on Goggle earth.
Every one here are OK and look forward to your next text messages .
Hope you have have recovered from the tummy bugs and back to normal again. Laura as just received news that she starts a proper job in September at a school in Sale, very good at here first attempt at a job. So you will have to call her miss all the time now !
Take care pop x

  dad May 23, 2008 5:45 PM

2

Hi Hun,
Sounds amazing, i think getting out of the army and going on a world tour is a good plan! So where next!! Hope your acheiving a brilliant tan for your tummy bug efforts- rehydration salts all the way! Safe journey, take care.
Anita x

  Anita Cserbakoi Jun 21, 2008 3:53 AM

About osiris


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.