Existing Member?

Sarah's travelling blog

The Only Student

CHINA | Monday, 23 January 2012 | Views [496]

Holidays never really cross my mind when I’m planning to go somewhere.  I didn’t realise it would be Durga Puja until I got to Kolkatta, and I ran away from Diwali by spending it in a tiny village in Sikkim where kids let off firecrackers until about 9pm then went to bed.  So although I knew I would be here for Chinese New Year, I didn’t really think about what might happen or what I might do.  I wouldn’t like to be in Beijing or Shanghai for it; it’s difficult and expensive to travel in China at this time of year and anyway I’ve had my fill of big cities for now after Dhaka, Hong Kong and Guangzhou.  It did not occur to me that all the other students might go home for Chinese New Year leaving me on my own with the Chens for two weeks. 

I was a little apprehensive about being the only student here, I guess I was worried about feeling isolated or lonely, but so far that hasn’t been the case.  That’s partly because most of my time is taken up with tai chi practice, but also because the Chens are extremely hospitable people, and they seem to care very much that I’m okay.  They often babysit their grandson which helps break the language barrier as he is a really cute, clever little boy who makes everyone laugh and smile all the time.  And it’s actually really nice eating dinner or lunch with them, maybe sharing a small glass of rice wine with Master Chen.   It would be nicer still if I could speak more Chinese, but I don’t have the language skills for conversations, that could take some time.  

So my experience now is almost a homestay, albeit one with a lot of tai chi thrown in.  It’s really interesting and I feel I’m seeing much more Chinese culture than I did at Kun Yu Shan.  The other day was the day that the Stove God goes back up to heaven to report to the King of the Gods about the families.  I couldn’t quite ascertain if every house has their own stove God or if it’s one omnificent god of stoves in general, but either way we got special Stove God bread and everyone let off firecrackers to help him find his way back to heaven. 

From a tai chi perspective it’s an amazing opportunity as I effectively get two weeks of one-to-one time with Grandmaster Chen or his son which is very cool indeed.  Most of the time is spent practicing by myself with bits of help here and there.  Grandmaster Chen has an interesting teaching style; he’ll come over and closely scrutinise what I‘m doing from different angles, make an adjustment or help where necessary, then wander off and sweep a patch floor.  Then it might be time for a quick ciggy, downtime with his grandson, another spot of teaching then perhaps mopping a different patch of floor.  If he spots you doing something wrong he’s straight over to correct you, and if he takes his coat off you know he means business and it’s time for a demonstration. 

Of all the tai chi masters I’ve worked with, Grandmaster Chen has to be the warmest and the most approachable.  He seems genuinely interested in all his students, not only as people learning tai chi, but about their lives outside of the school too.  He’s looked at pictures of my family on Facebook and at some of my pictures from Bangladesh.  His family are equally friendly, and in fact all of the coaches that teach here are members of his family who he’s taught and who are now good enough to teach themselves.  It all makes for a very warm, relaxed learning environment.   

Tonight is Chinese New Year’s Eve.  People, quite often children, have been letting off fireworks and firecrackers incessantly for days and it’s reached fever-pitch now.  Personally I am not a big fan of firecrackers – lots of noise and no visuals – but that’s too bad I think.  I’m not entirely sure what the programme is, but that’s nothing new.  This coming year is the Year of the Dragon.  I quite like the sound of that!    

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.