Existing Member?

Orna's Crazy Adventure

Crazy Diwali to Beautiful Jodhpur

INDIA | Saturday, 29 October 2011 | Views [636]

So there are no safety concerns here in India with young boys getting their hands on fireworks - which is very scary!!!

Diwali in Japiur was CRAZY!! It was like machine gun fire going off all night in the street right outside my hotel. And it's not like Australia where you know it is safe, here in India the boys light them on the road no matter who is coming - even me!!! So I'm coming back to my hotel in a cycle rickshaw and one goes off on the road right in front of us and something hit my leg!! I tell you, I was staying inside after that!!

Next day I met my driver to start the drive to Jodhpur. He doesn't really speak any english but he still speaks to me and I have to keep telling him I don't understand!!! Like today on the phone, I was trying to organise that I will meet him tomorrow morning at 8am and he says, "Hello? Yes maam, 8 or 9, hello? please thank you", and I say, "ok, so I meet you at 8" and he says something back that really doesn't make sense and I just hope that it works out tomorrow morning!

So anyway, we got to Jodhpur yesterday afternoon. On the way he showed me his wife and kids but it seemed to me like his "wife" was just some woman on the street who had no relationship to him whatsoever! It was bizarre...it really seemed like she didn't even know him. Maybe she didn't?!

Anyway, 7 hrs later we arrived in Jodhpur. Jodhpur really is the blue city and it is like a fairytale place with its colours and narrow winding lanes and old doors and the people here are genuinely really friendly. A lot of them also like getting their photo taken and pose for you! So it's a very different experience from Jaipur. Maybe it's because it's a smaller city. Anyway, it's photographer's heaven here - everywhere you look is a photo moment, so I just spent some time wondering the narrow lanes today getting lost and taking photos.

Last night the crazy Diwali fireworks were still going off - though this time I was at a rooftop restuarant and the fireworks were being set off by kids and they were exploding so low directly over us that bits of sulfur were landing on us and I kept getting a fright and screaming!! It was crazy! They are still going off now...I wonder when they can't afford them anymore?

So tomorrow morning -> Jaiselmer...

x Orna

About orna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.