Existing Member?

Orna's Crazy Adventure

Beautiful Hoi An

VIETNAM | Sunday, 18 September 2011 | Views [529]

So I ended up getting the sleeping bus to Hoi An which was kinda funny cause there were 4 of us all squashed in at the back of the bus - above us were more bunks. The other 3 people I was sharing the back with were nice and I ended up hanging out with one of the English girls - Allison in Hoi An and sharing a hotel room with her.

Again on the bus we were privy to some lovely Vietnamese hospitality - NOT!! They were sooooo rude, and really full on about assigning seats. At one point, we noticed that an Israeli couple had gotten into an argument with the Vietnamese bus people - I think they wanted to sit together and the Vietnamese people looked like they were going to get violent - full on!!

Anyway, we arrived safely in Hoi An and straight away I went into the ancient city to find some tailors!! The jackets they have on display there are sooooooooo gorgeous...so I got measured up for a few things... The ancient city in Hoi An is absolutely gorgeous - really charming and beautiful. At night it is lantern city - lanterns light up the streets everywhere!! And they have music in the streets coming from loudspeakers on the telegraph poles!

So for 2 days I walked with Allison around the streets of the ancient city...it was kinda funny though cause I was captivated and wanted to stop all the time and take photos and Allison didn't have any plan and didn;t mind following me around like a sheep (her words) waiting while I got measured up and just generally following me wherever I wanted to go. The first day I found her a bit annoying but the 2nd day it was nice having her company.

Then today I booked my bus for 2pm and we decided to check out the beach before I left - and I am so glad we did - it was stunning!!! Absolutely beautiful - the water was so clear that even when I was full length in the water I could still see my feet! And I also had my first experience of 3 on a scooter - driver, me and Allison!

So right now I am in Hue (I caught my 2pm bus which was another sleeping bus for some reason cause it was daytime) and am staying in the one of the guest houses in backpacker city. I got a cyclo here and we agreed on a price (I bargened him down from 100,000 dong to 10,000 dong) and of course he doesn;t know where the guest house is. Turns out it was just around the corner but he was going all over the place and kept telling me how far away it was and how hot it was (and he was peddling me all this time - me and my big back pack!). Finally we find it and he tells me to pay him more - and I'm like - no! You didn't know the way!! I tell you though, the street names are so confusing - Lonely Plant says it is on Le Loi St but it's actually in a lane off Le Loi...with a different street name! Bizarre...

Anyway, my first impression of Hue is that it's nothing like Hoi An!! But we'll see how it goes. There is a citadell here (I don't even know what a citadell is!) and some tombs and pagodas and temples etc, so I'll check out some tours tomorrow...

Good night!

xxx Orna

About orna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.