Existing Member?

Orna's Crazy Adventure

Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Friday, 5 August 2011 | Views [270]

Hi everyone,

So Galit has convinced me to start writing in this journal instead of my emails.

Well, there has been a turn of events.........I started on my 3 day / 2 night trek but got sick 1/2 an hr into the trek! We had started off by going to this stupid snake farm which is only created for tourists where the Thai people make really stupid jokes and the tourists laugh their heads off - really annoying.

Then we went to an Akka village (originally chinese refugees who are now Thai citizens) and who the Thai's call the "long Neck People" for the sake of the tourists. It was pretty horrible - their whole village was set up for tourists to come to - to pay to enter their village and then they have set up all these stalls selling factory made goods and some hand made goods. The children don't go to school and it didn't look as though they were doing any agricultural work - it seemed as though the only way they make money is from the tourists.

So then we stopped and had lunch before going on the 3 hour trek to the vollage where we were to sleep the night. So we started in the trek through the jungle and I was RED and SHVITZING!!! And then 1/2 an hr into it I didn't feel good and felt I was going to throw up and have shul shul and no way I wanted to have shul shul in the middle of the jungle!! So I told the trekking leader that I was sick and needed to go back. He wasn't very happy about it but in the end said he would go back with me and get another guide to take the group.

So off we went but then he kept complaining that it was very late and he was going so fast that he lost me!! So here I am in the middle of the jungle on my own (he had taken my back pack with my passports so that I could go faster) and I come to a fork in the tracks. So I'm thinking, it's ok, I still have my water and I'll look for footprints! So I choose a path and after a bit realise it's not the right track. Then I came across this hut with a guy there burning something and I indicate that I'm trying to go down the mountain. So he starts walking and indicates for me to follow. So I follow him and he takes me to another house in the jungle where there are 2 guys who are also burning something. He indicates for me to stay with them and he borrows their motor bike and goes off.

So now I'm thinking that I am definately going off the beaten track now and off the tourist trail!!!! And I'm also just thinking that it has to be ok cause the trek leader has my passports...

So I sit and rest and one of the men break off some rambutan fruit for me off a tree growing by their house. Really nice - so I try my first rambutan!!

Then after a bit the guy on the bike comes back with the trek leader on the back! With my bag! Yay! And he says to me "I was calling out but there was no answer!" and I say "I was calling out but there was no answer!! You went off without me!!"

So we go off and he finds another tour group who are going back to Chiang Mai so I go back with them.

Turns out it was good that I went back cause I was worse the next day - tummy pains and shul shul. I slept all night and all day and all night and I'm up for the first time now and have eaten which is good. I'm also starting to take something for the shul shul and am feeling better than yesterday which is good! So somwwhere along the line I have had something contaminated which I couldn't have avoided. I've only drank bottled water with seals and haven't had any salads.

So I'll continue to rest for a bit and then decide what to do next...

See you all for now :)

About orna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.