Existing Member?

It wasn't just a dream...

A personal experience in the desert

EGYPT | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [217] | Scholarship Entry

We were wandering for hours in the inhospitable desert. It was getting dark and the gold of the desert began to fray and got a strange gray color. The jeep that took us stopped abruptly and I listened to the driver with the thundering voice telling us to go out of the car. I caught myself laughing awkwardly. We debarked and before I could react the jeep was gone. I looked around and all you could see was a thick darkness, while the dust tickled my nose. Having no other option I started following the others. I have never felt so alone and scared. ''I'm used to solitary travel and cooperation with unknown people, who I should trust due to my work'', I thought. However, I couldn't calm down and in every footstep, that was sinking like a boat in the cold sand, I rattled. After 1,5 hour of peregrinating to nowhere, with the stars and a bloody moon which occasionally made its appearance as the sole guidance, we started climbing on a hill. I was so tired, dirty and hungry. I hadn't drunk water for nearly six hours, as the little funny Arab with the colorful robe, took the wrong box with the supplies. When we arrived on the hilltop, a giant commanding wooden door appeared in front of us and a monk opened the door and welcomed us warmly embracing us all, one by one. He led us with easy pace, like a butterfly in a small, cozy room that smelled charcoal and bread and showed us a table full of goodies. We sat around the table quickly and before started eating, the monk raised his hands to the sky and began to sing in an incomprehensible language. When he finished, he beckoned us to start eating and a deathly silence followed throughout the dinner. Since I couldn't stand the heavy atmosphere that prevailed anymore, I excused myself, saying that ''I feel dizzy and I need fresh air'' and I jumped out of the room. My steps brought me quickly in front of some stairs, which led to a strange kind of balcony that seemed to hover and being pinned to the rock, ready to flirt with the horizon. The view was fantastic, even in the darkness. I had never felt that way in any of my previous trips. And this air...had the smell of freedom. I closed my eyes and I wondered, ''How did I end up here?''. Then, suddenly I woke up and realized that I was lying on a hospital bed. I couldn't open my eyes, but I could hear the voices of doctors and my mother's cry, mixed with the thunderous sound of the crash. I had the taste of blood in my mouth, but the smell of happiness was all around!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About orien


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.