Existing Member?

flying around

culture differences

CANADA | Monday, 21 April 2014 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

... shared my pencil with a Saudi Arabian woman.
Everything starts when I studied English in Toronto - Canada during the cold and beautiful wintertime.
I still remember my first day of class. I was the last student to arrive in the class. While I was looking for a seat a woman wearing a burka took her purse of a chair and said to me seat by her side. All the students introduced their-selves and then I found out I was the youngest student there and the only one that was not from Saudi Arabia (KSA).
During the next four weeks I learned much more than only English with this people. Step by step we become closer and that was one of most value experiences I had in my whole life.
However, a specific part of this amazed me. Here my story begins.
One day a Saudi woman asked me if I could lend my pencil to her. At the first time I couldn't hear what she said because of the burka. When I understood I gave it at the same moment and few minutes later I realized how difficult it was for her to do this.
After that, everything change. In the next days she was less shy with me. I felt I could ask something to her. I had a lot of questions about her culture however, I also knew I could not ask half of what I would like to know. So I asked why she was there studying. I take care to not ask something personal or something which she could feel bad about. She told me how hard was get a job in Saudi Arabia and that was the reason for her and so many other people from KSA were in Canada. They were looking for universities to apply and to try to have a better future.
Some days later, she showed me a photo from her daughter (an adorable child) and I felt how comfortable she was with me in her own way. For the month I spent there we had a mutual respectable relationship as classmates who were there to learnt together independent of the religion ideological or political ideas of each other.
Nowadays, when I remember of this moments my eyes get wet. She does not know important for me she was. If one day I meet her again somewhere I would say to her that she taught me how to coexist. I will always remember no matter where we came from, which our differences, we are all human beings. When I think about that I see her eyes in my mind.
I am really thankful for the opportunity I had to live in Toronto. The city showed me how to live together in a Canadian city where the population has only 26% of native people.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About openeyes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.