Existing Member?

the CHILE year

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 26 March 2011 | Views [233] | Scholarship Entry

Student Exchange Letter, 2010

It occurred to me that 2010 has been ´Chile´s Year´, because of many remarkable events which have transpired. It began with that memorable earthquake in February, measuring roughly 8 on the Richter scale and causing immense damage. Then, the Soccer World Cup in South Africa and where better to celebrate it then soccer crazy South America? 2010 also marked the bicentenary of Chilean Independence from Spain. Naturally, this required at least five days to celebrate properly, alternating appropriately between eating, dancing …and eating again. Last but not least, the infamous cave-in of the mine in Copiapó. These 33 miners dominated world media attention. Here, channel surfing, you had a 99.99% chance of seeing the miners; singing the national anthem, eating breakfast…the whole country got behind them. Without a doubt 2010 was Chile´s year.

I can proudly say that I know Chile pretty well. I´ve travelled the whole length of the longest country in the world, from the desert dryness of its most northern city, Arica, to the arctic cold of Punta Arenas, it´s most southern. If there´s a country which has a bit of everything it´s this one; the seemingly infinite city of Santiago and the bohemian streets of Valparaíso contrast with the majesty of the volcanoes, the geysers of the Atacama desert and the glaciers of Patagonia. And, at the risk of imitating a fantastical tourist brochure, I love it.

However, exchange isn’t just about travel. It’s about becoming immersed in the culture, living long enough in one place to consider it home. Having a favourite place to eat, knowing which bus to catch, walking around without a map…feeling comfortable in a country which is 100% different from the one you grew up in. Nevertheless, more than once I truly regretted coming to a foreign speaking country. Not understanding ANYTHING and always being one behind in a conversation is incredibly frustrating. But, when you hit that point where you can suddenly comprehend what´s going on around you and contribute too? Best feeling in the world.

Something you should learn to laugh at, as a foreigner, is how people react to you. Especially meeting people for the first time because you´re different like a bug that no one´s seen before. There are people who politely stare when they think you won´t notice, the people who stare at you nervously as though you might melt unexpectedly and the people who simply stare without shame. Then, there are the people who talk at lightning speed just to annoy you and the people who refuse to believe you speak Spanish and speak v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y with large hand movements. Finally and most importantly: the people who make everything worth it. Your friends, who put up with you, sit next to you in class, talk to you when you´re alone and hug you when you need it. And I can personally attest that if you´re looking for people such as these, Chile is one of the best places to find them.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About opauli


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.